Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: formula in cereal?

Default formula in cereal?

hi ladies. so dd is 6mos now, and her appetite has definitely increased. she is now needing both boobs per feeding every time, and is eating solid foods as well.. so far just cereal and fruits/veggies.

i'm already taking the max of fenugreek, but my supply isn't keeping up with her now, so i'm wondering, how bad is it to put formula in cereal as opposed to pumping out 4oz/day for cereal? she's nursing just as much as before we started solids, so pumping out that 4oz/day right now is making it harder to nurse her.. i'm ending up with drained/milkless boobs every evening, and she's suckling and fussing for more NURSING, and i don't want to start giving her tons of solids and make the supply issue even worse.

any thoughts on this? i always said i didn't want to give her formula, but if iti's just used to mix into her cereal, is it bad? honest opinions, please!

thanks
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Default Re: formula in cereal?

let me add (trying to cancel out possible questions, lol):

we feed from the breast exclusively, rarely pump or do a bottle except if i have an doctor's appt or something

she has only been eating solid foods consistently for about 4 days now

we've never introduced formula before

she nurses about 7-8 times a day still, and wakes up every 3-4 hours at night to eat still (UGH)

i'm beth, mama to:

-and-

She really doesn't need cereal at all actually, especially if she is already doing well on fruits and veggies, so you don't need to worry about having to put BM or formula in it.

Have you read about baby led solids? There are a bunch of threads about it. Let me see if I can find some of them for you.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Yeah I'd say nix the cereal if it's causing you troubles! 4oz is quite a bit extra to pump!! If you want to give her cereal I'd just do with whatever extra you have that day. No need for huge amounts, she's really just learning with it, not really for nutrition at this point.

I agree with the pp's, you don't really need to feed your LO any cereal. But if you still wanted to, you could always just use water to make the cereal. My LO actually preferred her cereal made with water and ate it just fine prepared that way.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I had the same problem and I now use formula for my DD's cereal. She has never had it in a bottle so I am very proud of myself for that but trying to pump for the extra to mix the cereal was just too much and my DD did not like it with just water.

Just remember that you are introducing something new so don't give anything else new at the same time!

Good luck in deciding what is best for you and your LO!!!

You can also make the cereal with water instead. Especially if your LO is still nursing a lot and eating other foods.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

thanks, ladies.

dd's pediatrician told me to try harder to get her on solids.. she wasn't really ready when we tried at 4.5 months, 5 months, and 5.5 months. at 6 mos now, she is enjoying them and eating them with relish.. like i said, we've only been doing them for about 5 days now, since her 6mos checkup.. and the only reason we tried again was b/c when i told her ped that dd wasn't interested, he told me that at 6 mos, i should be forcing the issue a little more, b/c if i kept on letting her only nurse, she may develop aversions to solids, and that if nothing else, she needs to be experiencing new tastes and textures from a developmental standpoint at this age... so now i don't know what to think. i do know that my supply is down these days, as she's eating more (i'm talking about nursing)..

anyway, thank you for the information. i'll figure this whole thing out eventually..

i'm beth, mama to:

-and-

I gotta totally disagree with your pediatrician. At 6 months I think you should be just starting your solids journey (I'm going by what the AAP says, that babies should not have solids before 6 months) and really there have been LOTS of babies who don't start solids until much closer to a year. I think forcing foods would cause more food issues than letting a child learn at their own pace KWIM? Now maybe if she was 3 and wasn't eating anything, that might be cause for intervention.
    It sounds like she's doing ok now. I'm thinking your ped may have you on the solids to wean by a year track. Meaning LOTS of solids so you might take some time to think about what your nursing goals are and that. Babies who start large amounts of solids early wean early. That might be good with you, just FYI though!!