Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply HELP!!!

Question Supply HELP!!!

I know there is a ton of information on how to keep your supply up but I feel that I am running out of ideas.

I have had 2 breast surgeries so I have a lot going on. I have numbness in my left breast so I have to nurse on the right first to trigger let down and then switch my DD to the left. It took a while to figure this out but it works. My local LC told me that I wouldn't be able to solely nurse my DD but I did for 9 months now!!! But now at 9 months my supply is slipping. I started to supplement after feedings and at first my DD wouldn't take any formula but now she is eating about 8 ounces a day. I have been on a Fenugreek blend (Mother's Milk Plus) nearly the entire time. I also have tried pumping but I have some numbness from the surgeries so my body doesn't respond to this. I have also gone on Reglan which worked in amazing ways BUT caused some pretty scary depressive tendencies so althought it worked miracles for me, I couldn't continue to take it.

My goal was to keep going to at least 12 months but now I feel like it is time to throw in the towel. I am hoping that someone out there in LLLI land can give me a break thru idea that can save the day for me and DD.

Is there anything else I can do? Is there any other prescription drugs that will help that are safe and legal in the US? I am familiar with most of the foods and natural remedies. The only one that I haven't tried yet is barley tea.

HELP!!! PLEASE!

Default Re: Supply HELP!!!

I would encourage you to seek a local LLL leader if that is possible. It sounds like you have a lot going on and need a lot of one to one. Maybe some other mamas here have had a similar story & can give you some advice. Remember, any milk your lo receives is good! Don't throw in the towel just yet.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Is there any other prescription drugs that will help that are safe and legal in the US?
    Domperidone (Motilium), like Reglan, is an anti-nausea drug that increases Prolactin and milk supply as a side-effect. The nice thing about Dom. is that, unlike Reglan, it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier and is therefore not associated with an increased risk for depression. Dom. is approved for use as an anti-nausea drug in the EU and Canada, but unlike Reglan, it is not FDA-approved for that purpose in the US. Keep in mind that neither drug is approved by any agency for the purposes of increasing milk supply. Use of either drug to increase milk supply is considered "off-label" use.

While Dom. is not exactly legal in the US, it is available from Canada, or from compounding pharmacies in the US.

So, is Dom. safe? IMHO, the answer is yes, so long as used correctly. Check out the following links and decide for yourself:
    Statement from Dr. Jack Newman on FDA's Domperidone policy.
    FDA warning on use of Domperidone as galactogogue.
    American Academy of Pediatrics list of medications usually compatible with breastfeeding.
    Canadian Medical Association Journal article on use of Domperidone for lactating women.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION!!! OKay. That seems safe enough to me. The Reglan REALLY screwed with my head... NOT FUN! So I have to have a prescription some how to use it? What if my midwife won't prescribe it to me? Can a LC help me with it?

So I have to have a prescription some how to use it?
    My understanding is that Domperidone is available only by prescription.

What if my midwife won't prescribe it to me? Can a LC help me with it?
    I don't think LCs can prescribe drugs, but if your midwife won't write you a scrip for a particular drug, your LC may know someone who will.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Like others said, domperidone is an option. It worked fabulously for me when I had supply troubles. I have sent you a private message on that.

I also found that part of the reason I had low supply was the amounts of solids I was giving DS. Here's some info on that.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

As for herbs, you could also try Goats Rue tincture, also from Motherlove. Also here's more info on other herbs:

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.