Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should a 6 mo need a day?

Default How much should a 6 mo need a day?

Hello,
    My other half watches our son M-Th and I think she over feeds him. She does not wash any baby bottles and right now there are 7 in the sink. He woke up at 6 am and went to sleep at about 8 pm. Each bottle is about 4 oz of my milk until that runs out and then he has formula. When I have him on the weekends, when she is working, I rarely have to give him formula. I know babies will drink more from a bottle and I think she still just puts a bottle in his mouth the second he wakes up or crys. Today when I came home at 445 I was playing with him and he kept spitting up like he was full to the top! I had to go to a local meeting at 7 today and I think she feed him about 9 oz while I was gone, an hour and a half. I know they should take about 1.5 oz for every hour I am gone. He is not on solids yet, he gags when he tries to swallow anything. Am I just being critical or is she possibly over feeding him? I don't want to start him on bad eating habits and comfort eat like I know I do! Thank you for any help you can give!
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.

Default Re: How much should a 6 mo need a day?

It does sound like she is over feeding him. It is easy to do with a bottle fed baby (my husband tends to do the same thing). Here's a really great link your partner might find useful about bottle feeding a breastfed baby. Some great tips in there.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    It does sound like she is over feeding him. It is easy to do with a bottle fed baby (my husband tends to do the same thing). Here's a really great link your partner might find useful about bottle feeding a breastfed baby. Some great tips in there.

If you're producing the BM your baby needs, then why supplement with formula? It would be great to have your partner understand the information above, so that supplementing won't be necessary!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thank you for all the great information. I will try to get her to read it, not usually sucessful with those things! I expect one bottle of formula a day as I am not keeping up with him, especially since she seems to be overfeeding him! I am going to get a Symphony this week from the hospital to see if that helps! I learn so much from this site. I wish I had found it before I gave up trying to BF and started pumping!
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.