Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Pillow for Tall Mommy?

Question Nursing Pillow for Tall Mommy?

My baby is almost one month old, and I am still trying to get a proper latch established (working through sore nipples right now). I think part of my challenge is the nursing pillow I use. It does not elevate my baby to the correct level, and I end up in a funky position with my knees up and still not enough elevation. Does anyone have a nursing pillow recommendation for a 5'9" mommy trying to get a proper latch?

Thanks a ton!
    Mommy to Abner Yog, 4/16/09, 9 lbs., born naturally at The Farm in Tennessee, home of Ina May Gaskin

"Our spiritual and material duties should work together like two stallions, pulling the car of life
    harmoniously and uniformly to one happy goal."
    ~Paramahansa Yogananda

Default Re: Nursing Pillow for Tall Mommy?

Well, I know that our local nursing guru, Jack Newman, would tell you to learn how to latch well without a pillow

The pillow I used to start off with was the Breast Friend pillow. I'm 5'8 and my sister is 6' and we both used it with success. It straps right around you like a little shelf for baby. It's quite amazing!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I had to prop up pillows under my nursing pillow and I'm only 5'7". Perhaps try sitting in a comfy armchair and put 2 of your sleeping pillows on either side of you but also going on your lap - then put the nursing one on top? I also ended up using some rolled up receiving blankets to prop up part of the breast on top of the pillow as well. Sounds like a lot but creativity helps. Rolled towels, blankets, extra pillows -- try lots of combos and you may find out what works best for you. good news is that once they are older and bigger it's a lot easier to nurse without a lot of those things.

I'm only 5'6" but have used a Boppy pillow with success. I, too, had sore nipples in the beginning for about 2 weeks but they quickly went away. I often would cradle my son in my arm and rest my arm on the Boppy. I found it very helpful to have pillows stuffed behind me and sit upright with my feet on the floor - not lounging backward.

My baby's latch improved with age, his mouth got bigger (which helps a ton) and he "got the hang of it." stick with it and good luck!!

Have you tried sitting against a wall on the floor with your knees up? Then if you still need it you can just put a bed pillow on your lap to help hold baby up.

Or you can put a pillow or folded blanket under your nursing pillow to elevate it.

I agree with pps that the latch may improve as your baby gets older.

Good luck!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm 5'10", never found a really good way to manage the pillow and quickly gave it up. I only used it for a couple weeks with my first, and it's been sitting here collecting dust ever since.

Maybe the pillow is part of the reason you are having sore nipples? From trying to make it work? Have you tried side lying? I thought that position, for a long time, while the baby is small, a lot easier since I don't have to support the baby and could focus on latching the baby on properly.

Hang in there . . it will get easier.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm 6 feet tall and use the Boppy. I use the arm of a couch or a chair to help support the pillow.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thank you all for your advise and well wishes! I am determined to keep it up!

In Light,
    Jess
    Mommy to Abner Yog, 4/16/09, 9 lbs., born naturally at The Farm in Tennessee, home of Ina May Gaskin

"Our spiritual and material duties should work together like two stallions, pulling the car of life
    harmoniously and uniformly to one happy goal."
    ~Paramahansa Yogananda