Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: could this be delayed post-partum sadness at 5 months?

Default could this be delayed post-partum sadness at 5 months?

Within the last week I've been feeling really down-and-out... on the brink of crying. I've teared up several times and even cried a little bit last night... it seems worse when I nurse my son. He's currently 5 months old.

My question is, does anyone think this could be due to a drastic hormone shift? I remember in the first three weeks post-partum, I would cry at the drop of a hat, even though I was very, very happy. My mom said it was because of hormone levels changing so quickly and drastically.

I've already ruled out several factors that might contribute to depression:

(1) Not relationship-based. I am in a wonderful, fantastic, couldn't-be-better marriage!!

(2) Not fatigue. My son has been sleeping through the night for a few months now and I'm well rested (for the most part

(3) Not apathy or couch-potato syndrome; I'm well nourished, well exercised, and back to pre-preg weight and fitness.

(4) Not breastfeeding related (near as I can figure) -- I LOVE nursing and my son is EBF, no sign of needing to introduce solids in the near future.

Could this be a sign that Aunt Flo is returning? (My son nurses 5x a day). I've had two separate days of bloat, irritability, and seeking chocolate/junk for comfort food, within the past two months. Took a pregnancy test because it's been so long without a period - nope. No period, consistent schedule, all is well!

So, why am I on the verge of sadness and crying? I feel crazy - I seriously have no complaints, I'm enjoying being a stay-at-home mom and I am more happy and satisfied than most people I know!

Please let me know if any of you have experienced anything like this, and if you think it's "just hormones" or some wacky delayed post-partum depression. I haven't felt this blue since before I got pregnant.

Thanks ladies!

Default Re: could this be delayed post-partum sadness at 5 months?

It could be a sign of AF. The only reason I say this is because what you described is exactly how I felt the few weeks before my period came. I thought I was going nuts! I usually don't have PMS type symptoms, but they were HORRIBLE this time around.

I don't really know much about delayed PPD though, so I hope you get some more responses with some more information.

Hang in there!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

I don't know much about PPD, but I feel this way every once on a while. Like things on TV will make me just CRY...(like the movie Speed??????? ) or when my husband is at work and I miss him so I just start and can't stop crying.

For me I think it is just a little hormone shift sometimes...because like you said, I am the happiest person in the world right now...just weepy sometimes.

I got AF back 6 weeks PP so I was still pretty much caught up in the thick of recovery and what not so I don't know much about getting it back later on...

mama...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Aunt Flow came back when DD was 7 months and WOW! I was a mess Crying, angry, and very very snappy It was the worst PMS I have ever had

It sounds like she could be knocking at your door
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year