Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD is REALLY sick...Help!

Default DD is REALLY sick...Help!

DD2 started out being sick with what I thought was just a simple cold. On Saturday she ended up having a fever with 101.5, but has been normal since then. There is all sorts of green stuff coming out of her nose, and she is coughing. I can hear how congested she is in her head and her chest. Yesterday and today she as coughed so hard that bm and green mucous came out!

To top things off, she has a rash too. It's mostly on her legs, arms and face. It looks like hives or insect bites. I can't think of anything that she or I ate that was different from the usual. We were outside quite a bit on Saturday.

I called the pedi's office, and she is booked today, but I left a message for her to call me asap.

I'm kind of freaking out here. Neither of my daughters have EVER been this sick. What if the doc can't see her?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: DD is REALLY sick...Help!

Sounds like the hives could be in reaction to something viral. My DS has had them several times with fevers and viruses - it means the immune system is working in overdrive to get rid of whatever bug there is in their system.

I would be worried about the green mucous/discharge. You can wait for the pedi to call (they will likely want to see her anyways). OR you can do what I have done when my pedi is 'booked' - just showed up at the office with a REALLY sick kiddo and tell them you ARE GOING TO BE SEEN. They can't argue with a miserable looking kid, green mucous, and a protective/worried mommy!

Sounds like it could be a number of things. Check out this Wikipedia page on rashes- it gives you the run-down on things like fifth disease, roseola, and scarlet fever. I would definitely take your LO in to the doc. If she can't be seen today, I would keep a close eye on her, take her temp frequently, make sure she keeps drinking, and use Tylenol and Motrin to keep her fever under control if she has one. If the fever goes up to 105, get to the emergency room. Also, take hygeinic precautions- wash or sanitize your hands in between touching her and your other kids, don't let anyone share your sick child's food, that sort of stuff. Hope she feels better soon!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mykidsmom View Post
    Sounds like the hives could be in reaction to something viral.
    It looks like hives. I'm worried that it might be bronchitis or something.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We still haven't heard from the pedi, and the hives are getting worse.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammaof2 View Post
    We still haven't heard from the pedi, and the hives are getting worse.
    I'd call again, to alert them that the situation is changing. Better to hound them with this I think.

If you really think it's an allergic reaction, a dose of Benadryl might help...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If you really think it's an allergic reaction, a dose of Benadryl might help...
    I don't necessarily think it's an allergic reaction. I do think that it could be something with her sickness. I'm trying to call again, but the office is at lunch.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Rashes are actually really common with viral illnesses. 2 out of 3 times DS has gotten a bad fever/cold he has broken out all over his body. My FIL is a ped, and whenever something like this comes up he always asks about a rash, but he's never been terribly alarmed about it. I hope that you get in touch with your doctor soon though!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Hope she's doing better today