Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is going on with my DS!?!!

Default What is going on with my DS!?!!

My DS is 4 months old. He has been EBF since day one! I would occasionally give a bottle of BF if we were out! I was pumping in the beginning to store up some milk for occasional bottle, but haven't touched it it months!

the last two weeks, my DS has been hysterical crying at the breast...every feed is a struggle..if he does eventually latch for more than 2-3 sucks, he usually falls asleep shortly after and I think it is due to exhaustion rather than finished feeding

I have tried every position - cradle, football, sitting up, laying on top, laying down side by side, feeding from each breast (which is another concern bec I am worried he is just getting foremilk because I have to go back and forth between breasts until he finally "gives in") I have also tried us being naked together, sometimes stroking his head with my hand works...but not always...

Is this what I read about on here a "nursing strike"???...It has been the longest two weeks. I tear up every feed from frustration! He has plenty of poop/pee diapers-which amazes me! its prob bec he is always hungry...so sometimes i feed earlier than the usu 2hrs.

I am going to try to hold off on giving any bottles to see i that helps...

When he is hysterical my husband takes him and with a binkie he usu calms down and/or falls asleep..I swear it is bec I am out of "smelling range"

But why all of a sudden?!?! we were doing fine!! I dont know if I can take much more...i feel so bad his screeching cry makes me cry =( What else can I do...

I try to feed before he is starving ths doesnt always work either!!

I am wondering if I should maybe try bottles and exclusively pump...but I am afraid this will be difficult with 2 kids under 2..I did this with my DD for a couple of months but she was my first.

Does nipple shields help in these situations??

Sorry I am rambling,, but i would really like to fix this and soon..

I appreciate any advice

ETA: when he does latch oftn hear loud gulping..i think it might be coming out too fast.its like he is choking,,,.if it is OALD...why all of a sudden...i would think he would be used to it now or it would have adjusted
    Last edited by @llli*jlk51496; May 10th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Default Re: What is going on with my DS!?!!

So sorry! Could it be thrush? Or teething?
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Have you changed lotion, soap, perfume, etc on you? Maybe something different you are wearing is causing him to react? Does he act like he is in pain? Could be teething, thrush, reflux, illness? Just some things that have come to mind, hope you figure it out!

How often are you feeding him, and are you waiting for hunger cues? If he is still having plenty of poops and pees, I would think he has to be taking more than 2-3 sips at each feeding.

Around 4MO, DD started becoming much more efficient at the breast. The time it actually took for her to finish nursing decreased a TON. It worried me, and I found myself offering more often, but after a while I realized it was mainly because she just didn't want or need to comfort nurse as much. Is it possible that you are offering when your son really isn't hungry and doesn't feel like nursing for comfort? I'm just throwing that out there. Also the fact that you are saying he is gulping a lot tells me this isn't a supply problem and also tells me he may just be becoming a lot more efficient and therefore able to eat more quickly.

Can you call a lactation consultant and talk this through with someone? I don't think a nipple shield would be helpful in this situation, especially since this doesn't sound like nipple confusion. (if I'm understanding right, you only give a bottle every once in a while if you're going out or something, but haven't in a long time?)
    Last edited by @llli*jeannie.bean; May 10th, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I have had a very, very similar experience with my little one. He's now 5 months old, but from about 2 to 4ish months he would scream and scream when I tried to breastfeed him, and would only feed for a very short time. I feel for you - I found it extremely stressful, we would both end up in a sweaty, tear-covered mess.

The good news - it seems to have gone away (knock on wood). The key, for me, seemed to be (i) to only nurse lying down, in a quiet room, (ii) to give up absolutely all dairy products for a few weeks, and then things started to get a lot better and (iii) to try and space the feedings further apart - it was hard, because the last feeding was so short, that I wanted to offer milk all the time, but allowing a bit more of a gap seemed to help.

But who knows if any of this really helped?! It's entirely possible that he just changed all on his own - but either way, things did get better! Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    How often are you feeding him, and are you waiting for hunger cues? If he is still having plenty of poops and pees, I would think he has to be taking more than 2-3 sips at each feeding.
    I def wait until he is hungry - my husband or the binkie isnt cuttin' it! So I know he is def hungry...but I try to wait before he gets hysterical..bec then it is worse..

And I agree with the poop/pee diapers....it amazes me with all the fighting at the breast that somehow he is getting enough! But I guess bec it sounds like he is gulping that he is getting enough, but just not at the speed he would like
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmommy View Post
    So sorry! Could it be thrush? Or teething?
    Don't THINK it is either of these?!?!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*swissm View Post
    I have had a very, very similar experience with my little one. He's now 5 months old, but from about 2 to 4ish months he would scream and scream when I tried to breastfeed him, and would only feed for a very short time. I feel for you - I found it extremely stressful, we would both end up in a sweaty, tear-covered mess.
    wow that does sound exactly like me! Than k you for giving me hope that the end is near
    I will see if some of your suggestions work! Thanks
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

Here is some more info that might be helpful! I know it must be hard, but hang in there!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Its sounds like OALD to me My DD is 9 months old and my OALD will come and go. When I eat oatmeal (which I LOVE) it seems worse bc it increases my supply.

Hold off on the bottles. That will just make your situation alot worse

Hang in there Mama! Your lo will adjust soon
    Proud mama to Haydon-6 years old and Lillie-1 year old!

, and she is walking

We made it a year