Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in my milk when I am pumping - what's going on?

Default Blood in my milk when I am pumping - what's going on?

Hi Ladies!

Here's a little background - 6 month old boy, EBF'ing, 12 wks maternity leave, now pumping 4 - 5 x / day w/ Madela Pump in Style (PIS) and working full time. I have about 200 oz in the freezer and always try to extend pumping sessions and add extra ones if possible ... I am trying to store as much milk as possible. Never had any problems with pumping or nursing (counting my blessings everyday!). Tonight I was on the computer while using my PIS after LO went to bed a couple hours ago. After about 20 - 30 min or pumping, I had ~10 oz and noticed my milk turning red! I pulled the shields off and noticed my nipples swollen and hurting! I put some lanisoh lanolin on nipples and fresh pads for night.

Why the blood? I'm guessing I just got a little too carried away with my pumping session ... a little too long? Is the milk still safe to use? What if my nipples hurt tomorrow and I don't want to pump or skip pumping sessions - 6 months along, will 1 - 2 days of less pumping intervals (like every 4 hrs instead of every 3) set me back?

I'm off to bed, just wanted to post this before I go to work tomorrow!!

Thanks

Lisa

Default Re: Blood in my milk when I am pumping - what's going on?

Milk is still safe. You don't even have to drain the blood, it will still be ok to feed to your LO. If you want you can let it settle and pour til they're separated. I'm guessing that you prolly got a little carried away. I don't pump a lot anymore, but 20-30min seems like a long time.

Default Re: Blood in my milk when I am pumping - what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    Milk is still safe. You don't even have to drain the blood, it will still be ok to feed to your LO. If you want you can let it settle and pour til they're separated. I'm guessing that you prolly got a little carried away. I don't pump a lot anymore, but 20-30min seems like a long time.
    with all above.

You can pump again, and if you want to maintain your supply you should. Try starting your pump at the lowest level and then gradually increasing the level. Most likely what caused the blood was a broken blood vessel- they are tiny and fragile and it only takes a small amount of blood to tint your milk a shocking color. The good thing about these blood vessels is that they heal quickly, and are usually fine by the next time you need to nurse/pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"