Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Correcting Latch -- anyone successful at this?

Default Correcting Latch -- anyone successful at this?

Hi mamas!

When my lo was a newborn, he was the best latcher and sucker, ever. But since then, he has really let it go to pot. Now, at 2 months old, he half sucks my nipple and half sucks his tongue, making a clicking sound. He does this especially during my let down, and I think it's because he can't handle the milk coming so fast. He is gaining weight normally, and my supply hasn't changed. But, he takes in a lot of air, and it makes a horrific mess (milk EVERYWHERE. makes for a lot of laundry ).

Has anyone else had this problem and was able to correct it? If so, how? So far, I just take him off when it's really bad, and then try to get him on again with a better latch. This works maybe 20 percent of the time. No where near fixing the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks mamas!
    Wife to Dan, SAHM (thanks Daddy!) to Anastasia born 1/13/2007

Default Re: Correcting Latch -- anyone successful at this?

are you useing bottles or pasifiers?
    sometimes cutting them out for a while helps.

Default Re: Correcting Latch -- anyone successful at this?

A forceful let down could be the source of your problem. Here are some tips that might help.

Strategies to Reduce Milk Ejection Force

There are many strategies that can help manage a forceful milk ejection without increasing milk production. Placing the baby in a more upright position, so that his head is higher than the breast, will allow him more control during the feeding. Or position yourself so that you are leaning backwards, with the baby almost on top of you after he latches. In this position the milk has to flow "uphill," which will reduce the force of your milk ejection reflex.

Some mothers find that a "scissors" hold on the areola, with the nipple between the forefinger and middle finger, helps restrict the flow of milk. Another option is to apply pressure on the side of your breast with the heel of your hand. (Try to vary the position of your hand to avoid constricting the ducts and inadvertently causing a plug.) You may also find it helpful to breastfeed just as your baby is waking from naps. He will suck more gently when he is still sleepy.

If baby starts to choke/sputter, unlatch him and let the excess milk spray into a towel or cloth. Relatch him when the force of the milk ejection has lessened.

Many mothers with oversupply find that nursing in a side-lying position makes feedings go more smoothly because milk flows from the breast horizontally without the force of gravity and babies can let excess milk dribble downward from their mouths rather than having to swallow it all. (Place a towel under you and baby to absorb the extra milk.) Use a rolled-up receiving blanket against your baby's back to keep him from rolling away from you. If you are still lying down together at the next feeding and are ready to offer the other breast, you can just roll with your baby onto your other side, so that the second breast is against the bed and not flowing downhill with increasing force.

Some babies cope with their mothers' strong milk ejection by taking only a little milk at a time, stopping and starting frequently. It is almost as if they are enjoying several courses to their meal. This is absolutely fine; allow him to come on and off the breast as he needs to, making sure to keep offering your baby the same breast for each course so that he has the opportunity to get the cream.

Although it can be tempting to stretch out feedings when your nipples are sore, feeding baby before he gets extremely hungry will keep him from sucking too aggressively, which not only hurts when nipples are already sore, but can cause further nipple damage. An overly strong suck can also cause a stronger milk ejection, making the feeding more difficult.
    Renee
    LLL Leader