Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If BF twice a day, will supply last?

Default If BF twice a day, will supply last?

My 10 mth old feeds 3 times a day, once when he wakes, once before sleep and once mid-afternoon. I think he may be happy enough to drop mid-aft feed, or take it in food form. If I'm feeding him only twice a day, will my milk supply be okay?
    This is with a view to working in near future - he won't take bottle, or spouted cups. He'll take a bit from open cup but then gets bored. Was thinking if I went to work, he could take formula in custard or something to make sure he got it mid-aft. But as I haven't job yet, I don't want to start doing this and risk losing supply. He has operation coming up in June and I really want to still be BF for that.
    Any thoughts/experiences would be gratefully recieved!
    Thanks

Default Re: If BF twice a day, will supply last?

at 10 months my last two babies were nursing more often then that...
    MY dd nursed just to go to bed for over a year so I'm sure your supply will be ok.
    are you giving formula? or other suppliments?

At 10 months a good amount of calories still comes from milk. My only concern would be how are you going to supplement that of he won't take a cup or bottle? But I think twice a day your supply may be ok.

Your supply should adjust to maintain the two feedings but I would be concerned about his calorie intake since BF/formula should be the main calorie source until 1 year. Is he getting milk any other ways?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thank you for your replies! Hopefully my milk will last when time comes! Yes, he's getting formula milk in his food, and a little from his cup each day.
    He's allergic to dairy & egg so is on special formula, which I've been advised to get him used to the taste of, otherwise I'd still be BF exclusively. I've also been advised to stop BF at 12 mths, as it's been shown that benefits of BF to allergic babies can decrease if continued past a year - I don't know how much I believe that, but you just have to put your trust in the experts, don't you!

That is so far from the truth! The absolute BEST thing you can give a child with allergies is breast milk on an extended basis. I will be back with evidence later if someone doesn't beat me to the punch. You need a new doctor!

Personally, I do not always agree with the 'experts'. You have to think about where their very biased information is coming from.

I think that BM is absolutely the best food for babies as long as they can have it. It is always so shocking to me that doctors can think formula is a better option than what God/nature intended for babies to have - Mommy's breastmilk!

Because bf'ing is supply & demand you will continue to make as much milk as is removed from your breast. So, if you're nursing twice a day you will continue to make that amount.

As for nursing past a year, there are many benefits both physical and emotional for you and your baby, including decreasing the risk of allergies and illnesses. And remember that many of the health benefits of human milk are dose related, that is, the longer the baby receives human milk, the greater are the benefits. Here are a few links you might consider reading. Good luck!

Benefits of BF'ing a toddler

How long should a mother BF?

Weaning a toddler
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Thank you girls, it's great to get reassurance! And I absolutely agree that breastfeeding is the best for my boy, but we're seeing many different doctors about many different things with him, and my poor brain can't keep up, so I'm placing my trust squarely in their hands I'm afraid! I'd love to read any info you can point me towards though!
    To be honest too, much as I am loving breastfeeding and if circumstances were different would probably continue for longer, I'm on an milk- and egg-free diet while feeding him (because of his allergies), and frankly, I'm dying for some Ben & Jerry's!!!
    Hopefully we'll have more kids & I'll have less interference and I'll breastfeed them as I damn well please!!
    Thanks again for your replies!
    xx

It's important to understand that the vast majority of doctors are ignorant about BF. The vast majority of women give up in the first couple of months so when there is an allergy, all they know to throw at it is the typical non BF remedy. You are still nursing and that gives you the best remedy around. It appalls me how bad the advice is out there from doctors. I had a gastroenterologist tell me I don't produce enough milk because I have been having kids for 13 years and sometimes a woman's milk goes bad. You have to be kidding me.

May I ask what these doctors propose your child has to replace your milk at 12 months? The WHO recommends nursing the first two years and beyond. Given that it is documented that breastfed children have less allergies and asthma and it helps children overcome allergies, how would the recommendation be shorted by half when there is a medical condition that precludes the alternative to mother's milk after one year? It doesn't make sense.

You couldn't buy a better one. It's up to you to be the advocate your child needs. Extended BFing helps children with allergies overcome them. Kellymom is a site with research based information. Each article lists the sources for the information provided:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html