Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exercise = DS Vomit?

Default Exercise = DS Vomit?

Ok, DS is 20 mo and still going strong with bf. I just started working out this week, since I need to lose a little weight so that my clothes fit better. He's thrown up a bunch this week--as in he puked 6 times yesterday. DH keeps saying that my BM is bad and that I either ate something that doesn't agree with DS or maybe my muscles have released "lactic acid" into my body that's going out into the milk. Does this happen? I'm a bit suspect because I haven't worked out since Thursday, and DS had a long day yesterday and it seems like every time people are up in his face and he gets overstimulated, he pukes. We saw my dad several times yesterday, and I'm sure that didn't help the overstimulated part, coupled with DH's hysteria over the vomit and DS being off his schedule. Seriously, DH kept saying how DS couldn't have any more milk, since "every time he breastfeeds, he pukes." I love it when he gets hysterical and irrational--and it's not like I'm going to deny DS when he obviously doesn't feel good and is pulling on my shirt.

Also, you can throw in that DS has eaten a lot of this certain granola bar (that has nut flour in it--we haven't tried him on nuts yet, as his cousin has bad nut allergies and I'm paranoid about them) over the past week as well. So, with all of this rambling, I'm wondering, what do you mamas think could be contributing to the vomiting? Mama exercise, overstimulation, or something else?

TIA

Default Re: Exercise = DS Vomit?

I'm no expert Mama, but I would suspect the new food, first and foremost.

Studies have shown the whole BF and lactic acid thing to be a myth. You can tell DH to relax. However, if you had also been consuming lots of those same granola bars, that would be a possible trigger. But BM is the best thing for a pukey kid.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

This sounds like an allergy to me - my LO puked BIG style after I gave him his first taste of wheat. I got him tested and he's very allergic. The exercise thing doesn't sound right - apart from anything else, to produce this amount of lactic acid you'd have to be REALLY exercising hard - as in running the last part of a marathon hard - sound like you? (If you were running a marathon at the time then )
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilove.myjammies View Post
    as in running the last part of a marathon hard - sound like you?
    Nope, no marathons here.

He's eaten the granola before, just not as much.

exercise does not cause nursing problems (just make sure your bra isn't too tight, it can trigger plugged ducts)

Thanks, mamas. I still don't know what caused the vomit, but I have a strong suspicion that the granola may have had something to do with it, as he has not vomited since Sunday (and hasn't had any granola since Saturday).

My son is 33 months old and I work out 5 times a week - he still breast feeds and I have been working out really hard - even with a personal trainer where my muscles are so stiff I want to roll over and die sometimes, but nothing has changed in my sons breastfeeding behaviour so I think the lactic acid thing is definitely a myth! I agree with PP that it must be some sort of allergy or maybe even some sort of bug. HTH

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg