Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply is dwindling?

Unhappy Milk Supply is dwindling?

My son is almost 8 weeks old and has had no problems at all in breastfeeding. I was also able to start a good supply of pumped milk to freeze in bags for when my husband does night feedings and when we go out without the baby. However in the last week, my supply is not what it was. My son is still nursing, but more frequently, and seems unsatisfied sometimes afterwards. I also have not been able to pump anything extra in about 5 days.

I am eating and drinking adequately, I havent started going back to the gym yet. My dr put me on the minipill at my 6 week checkup and I immediately got my period, which was very strange to me. It was right about then that my supply went south.

What can I do to restore my supply? At this point, about 2 hours after my son last ate, I can only pump 2oz. I am starting to worry. Thanks.

Default Re: Milk Supply is dwindling?

My DD always get really fussy right before I start my period. My supply dips and they nurse like crazy. Then a day or so after I start it goes back to normal. It could also be a growth spurt. They can nurse SO much for about a week or so to build your supply. There is usually one around 6 weeks. If so you might being at the end of one
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

I am hoping that is the case. My period ended 2 days ago and the situation isnt getting better. I know he is at least getting enough right now because he is going thru the normal amount of diapers, both pee and poo, but I just worry about his fussiness afterwards and the fact that I cant pump out enough between feedings to store for later. Maybe I am just being paranoid?

Sometimes the mini-pill can affect supply. Its not supposed to, but it can.

You could try going off the pill. You could try herbs or domperidone. You could try pumping after each feeding.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I suspect the mini pill. My doc reccomended waiting until 12 weeks before doing progesterone only bc. I did and my supply is fine
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

All of your advice has helped, thank you. I think maybe its a combo of everything involved, the mini pill, having just had AF and a growth spurt for my son. It seems to be going a little better now, he isnt as fussy and I have been able to pump a couple of bags to freeze. It really had me worried that I couldnt pump anything for 6 days. I had to go look at the bags to see what the number of days was and was shocked it was so many. I am feeling better about it now. Thanks for the help!

That's awesome! Glad to hear things have gotten better.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.