Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LO Turning One Soon ...

Default LO Turning One Soon ...

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the board, so hello! My daughter is 11 months old and as she grows I'm wondering how to nurse her! She doesn't "ask" to nurse terribly often, as I normally offer the breast if it's been more than 3 hours since her last nursing session since she's a tiny thing and doesn't eat a whole lot of solids.

So my question is, do I continue offering every 3 hours and if she doesn't want it, she won't drink? Is there a point at which you stop offering and let them ask for it every time? I really want to nurse her through her second year, but I know very few people who've nursed toddlers!

Thanks in advance

Default Re: LO Turning One Soon ...

I found this board when my older daughter was about your DD's age. Around 1 year is a busy time for babies and some might seem to not be as interested in nursing as often, but I think you have the right idea about continuing to offer fairly often given that she's not that into solids yet. BM is great nutrition for her.
    I find my 14 month old tends to nurse better in a quiet spot. Otherwise she's just too distractible!
    "Don't offer, don't refuse" is considered a weaning method. If you would like to wean her, you can take that approach, but if not, I would advise you to keep offering.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I have the same question! DS is 13 months and I have no idea how often to feed him. He rarely asks to nurse (when he does he tugs on my shirt). So I just keep offering or wait until he's fussy, then I take him into the bedroom and nurse him lying down, he is usually too distractable to nurse anywhere else!!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thanks for your response, Molly!! I guess that makes sense - nothing's really changed even though she's turning one, eh? She's still a baby and she still needs milk, so keep offering! I suppose if she doesn't want it, she'll refuse!

I have found that when we're out and about (say, at the mall) she'll go over 4 hours without nursing because there's no way she's focussed enough to nurse there.

I guess my issue is just that the few people I've known to nurse past a year have babies who were VERY attached to breastfeeding and were asking to nurse all the time, not having to be offered, but I suppose it's fine to be offering. If she were drinking a significant amount of water/juice/milk, I'd be offering that just as often, right?

Sometimes my DD will nurse if I let her sit up to do it. She'll kind of snack while she plays. She doesn't always want to lay down anymore. Just keep offering every couple hours.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hamilton.mom View Post
    Thanks for your response, Molly!! I guess that makes sense - nothing's really changed even though she's turning one, eh? She's still a baby and she still needs milk, so keep offering! I suppose if she doesn't want it, she'll refuse!

I have found that when we're out and about (say, at the mall) she'll go over 4 hours without nursing because there's no way she's focussed enough to nurse there.

I guess my issue is just that the few people I've known to nurse past a year have babies who were VERY attached to breastfeeding and were asking to nurse all the time, not having to be offered, but I suppose it's fine to be offering. If she were drinking a significant amount of water/juice/milk, I'd be offering that just as often, right?
    We have the same experience at malls etc. I couldn't agree more that the one year mark is an arbitrary cutoff! Stick around here and you will find more of us who have nursed past the one year mark. I don't know that many people outside of this forum who nurse past one year either, but I definitely feel supported here. my LLL forums.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

so, even if their nursing cuts back for a while around that age, the milk is there when you need it? Do I need to worry about my supply? And will my lo pick back up with nursing more in the coming months? I guess every baby is different!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I guess just keep offering? If nursing picks back up, your supply will too ... if baby keeps refusing, you'll still make whatever he/she needs, right?

yeah, that's what it sounds like! I can tell that at night I am way more full than during the day - because she eats 2 or 3 times at night...

It's hard not to worry...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I think the idea is that if you're not actively trying to wean, than she'll eat whatever she wants! Keep offering every few hours and if she refuses, wait a half hour or 30 minutes and try again. She's not going to starve herself