Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquids at mealtime

Default Liquids at mealtime

I just don't get BF after one. I'm trying to glean info. from previous posters but I'm having a steep learning curve as I didn't make it this far with DD1.

My question du jour: So if you BF, what liquids do you give your solid eating baby? My DD likes everything including Cheerios, bread and other dry foods. What am I supposed to give her to drink? Surely I can't be whipping out a boob to wash her food down. Do most people pump to give milk in a cup or give water or CM?

I'm confused.....

Default Re: Liquids at mealtime

My DD is almost one, and I have always just offered water at mealtimes. I think it helps to keep her regular too!

How many times a day is your DD nursing? If she's nursing well 3-4 times in a 24 hour period, then you don't need to offer CM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I would always offer a sippy of water along with meals. Sometimes my daughter would drink from it, other times she wouldn't and soon after her meal she would request to be nursed.

There's no need to pump and offer BM in a cup, or to offer cow's milk if you are nursing 3-4 times a day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We always gave water with meals, starting around 8-9 mos I think. My daughter always wanted to nurse after solid meals, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for this thread - My lo is 11 mo. and eats three solid meals a day. She is starting to cut back on her nursing because she her solids...However, she still nurses 3-4 times a day. Anyway, she doesn't drink any supplemental liquids. Is that bad? And what do I do if she won't drink out of a sippy cup? Water in a bottle after meals or in between meals???

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ebbie View Post
    I just don't get BF after one. I'm trying to glean info. from previous posters but I'm having a steep learning curve as I didn't make it this far with DD1.

My question du jour: So if you BF, what liquids do you give your solid eating baby? My DD likes everything including Cheerios, bread and other dry foods. What am I supposed to give her to drink? Surely I can't be whipping out a boob to wash her food down. Do most people pump to give milk in a cup or give water or CM?

I'm confused.....
    I always just gave him water with solids. Nursed whenever. Usually between feedings and when I got home/nap time/to sleep. That sort of thing. Nursing is way less pressure the second year. Just nurse whenever!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Thanks for this thread - My lo is 11 mo. and eats three solid meals a day. She is starting to cut back on her nursing because she her solids...However, she still nurses 3-4 times a day. Anyway, she doesn't drink any supplemental liquids. Is that bad? And what do I do if she won't drink out of a sippy cup? Water in a bottle after meals or in between meals???
    I'd just try a cup. Bleh with bottles at this point! If she won't drink from a cup just yet try fruits and veggies with a lot of water. How's her pee output? Good wet diapers? That should tell you if she's getting enough liquids.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    I'd just try a cup. Bleh with bottles at this point! If she won't drink from a cup just yet try fruits and veggies with a lot of water. How's her pee output? Good wet diapers? That should tell you if she's getting enough liquids.
    With both. Nora only did a sippy for a very short period of time. She did better with a regular cup. It's one (of the many) reasons we stuck with water for so long, though. There were plenty of spills, but no biggie cause it was water.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We always offered water in a cup with meals. So he'd learn that water is what you drink besides breast milk and with meals. My son mastered a straw at 9 months. So we would offer him water out of a straw at meals and when he was finally away from me at 14months, he walked around all day with a sport sippy with a straw. After his 2nd B-day we moved to a stainless steel one with a sippy spout. Because we want to use stainless steel but they don't make the kind with the straw built in. The kind we use is call Kleen Canteen. HTH!
    Anyway, he's 3 and he drinks water all day while away from me and for dinner every night. If you normalize water when they are babies that is what they grow up to want and expect. It's completely possible to keep juice out of the every day mix and use it as a "TREAT".

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    We always offered water in a cup with meals. So he'd learn that water is what you drink besides breast milk and with meals. My son mastered a straw at 9 months. So we would offer him water out of a straw at meals and when he was finally away from me at 14months, he walked around all day with a sport sippy with a straw. After his 2nd B-day we moved to a stainless steel one with a sippy spout. Because we want to use stainless steel but they don't make the kind with the straw built in. The kind we use is call Kleen Canteen. HTH!
    Anyway, he's 3 and he drinks water all day while away from me and for dinner every night. If you normalize water when they are babies that is what they grow up to want and expect. It's completely possible to keep juice out of the every day mix and use it as a "TREAT".
    This is pretty much what we've done. I forgot about using a straw! My LO drinks mainly water as well, it's what he prefers now. Extra bonus it's not sticky and doesn't stain anything!

hmmm....great ideas. My first lo is 2.5 and all he drinks is water - and he LOVES it. But he still uses a plastic sippy. I'd rather he use stainless steal. Maybe I'll get those for at home. I guess I'll just try a cup or maybe a straw with my littler one.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!