Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble at the pump

Default Trouble at the pump

Hi Everyone,

I have a 9 week old that was recently diagnosed with having thrush and I am on day 2 of the gential violet + APNO (Dr Newmans all purpose nipple ointment). Since I still feel really full after LO pulls off the breast and refuses my other breast, I try an pump the rest. I am having trouble pumping now, it seems the APNO is making my nipple too slippery for the pump flange and nothing pumps out (even though if I squeeze my nipple milk sprays). Any advice?

Default Re: Trouble at the pump

If you have thrush, you shouldn`t be storing pumped milk, so you could try expressing with your hand into a bowl. I know it`s more work than doing it with a pump but it will help you feel more comfortable.
    Mummy to sweet little Roselyne, born 20 Dec 2006 and Baby Arthur born 4 Aug 2008

Oh no! Really?! I guess that makes sense (not pumping and storing) but if I don't pump and feed her the pumped milk she wouldn't get enough to eat since she has so little when she bfs. I am really upset right now - why wouldn't my LN mention this!!?? grrrrrrr

You can pump and give the milk within the next few days. You just shouldn't store it long term- and even that is up for debate.

Can you wipe the APNO off long enough to pump and then reapply?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Are you sure she's not getting enough? Many babies only nurse on one side per feeding. If she's having plenty of wet diapers (5-6/day) she is getting plenty of milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Ah , yes I always pump and give her the bottle within a couple hours of pumping it. Since I am trying to get her back on the breast exclusively, my routine is to try and breast feed her and once she is done at the breast (usually refuses) I give her the bottle. Lately the only way I can get her to take even a little of the breast is to sort of trick her into taking it - she likes her soother so when she is sleepy and acting hungry I bring her in close letting her suck on her soother then I give her my nipple - she usually gets really upset then and I give her the soother back and repeat the process until she starts drinking- but she only stays on for maybe 5 mins....as for the wet diapers I do see probably more than 6 wet diapers and at least 2 poops a day...I wish she could just tell me if she is getting enough!