Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Work! Scared for DD!

Default Starting Work! Scared for DD!

I am going to start working for a few hours a night, 3 nights a week. Last week, DH and I tried to go out for dinner, and my Mom called saying DD won't take bottle. She has had at least one bottle a week from 2 weeks on. We use Playtex Natralatch and always have. She did this one other time, but it was for me. I start on Friday and am terrified she is going to be crying half the night. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Starting Work! Scared for DD!

How scary!

Would it be possible for the baby to be brought to you during a break for feeding? This may help relieve your fears as well as hers.

Have you tried different kinds of nipples? You may find that a slow-flow nipple long enough to be drawn back into the baby's mouth (similiar to the breast) to be helpful. Softer nipples may also be a better choice for a breastfed baby.

Good luck!

how old is your dd now? when will you go back to work? was this your mom's first time giving your dd a bottle? if yes, your dd was probably just not used to taking a bottle from her. if your dh will be giving your dd the bottle while you're at work, you may want to start having him give her a bottle at least once a day to try and get her used to it.

My dd Loves gerber nipples slow flow. I find its smaller and easier for her to latch on its not so long there for not so much confusion and not as hard to drink from. Shes 15 weeks now. I find with the playtex she doesn't want to be breastfed she gets fussy. Hope this is helpful

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

it might also help if you give dd something that smells like you to hold and play with while taking the bottle...maybe a t-shirt that you've worn to bed a few nights in a row...this may offer some comfort. What dh had ro do when our son wouldn't take the bottle was this...(I was at the hospital with my little brother who just had surgery)...he tried to give the bottle first for 5 minutes. When he still fought, he went and put him in his bed and let him fuss for 5 minutes. He picked him up and then tried again for another few minutes. If that didn't work, he returned him to his bed to fuss for another few minutes. He had to do this for 45 minutes once...and only once. This was at 6 weeks old. He's never had a problem taking a bottle since...from anyone. He finally got hungry enough and decided that mama's milk from the bottle was better than an empty tummy.

Your dd will decide this too, or she'll be a little hungry when you get home and make up for it then. If babies can go 12 hours at night without eating, she can go a couple of hours while you are at work, even if she doesnt like it...may not be too fun for your DH, but she certainly won't starve or be emotionally damaged if she chooses not to take the bottle and wait until her mama gets home...babies are tougher and more resilient than we think...though it might be wise to pray for your DH if he has to deal with a fussbucket while you're gone!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My DD also started refusing a bottle right before my maternity leave ended and I ended up quitting my job to stay home w/ her afraid she would starve in the eight hrs / day I would have to leave her. Now that she is older I have decided to go back to work, or get a PT job so we have been spoon feeding her EBM in preparation. She actually looooves eating w/ a spoon!!! No fighting, no tears, she just eats and laughs. I figured I would just abort the whole idea of the bottle. Why try to force her to take a bottle when she so clearly hates it; when she so happily eats w/ a spoon??? I figure, she will be eating w/ a spoon the rest of her life, right? You may want to introduce a spoon just as a backup plan in the event she refuses a bottle while you are away. Even if she just takes an ounce or so to take the edge off... HTH & good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I am starting work tonight. I am hoping she sleeps through, but knowing her she won't! My Mom and I did a test run last night and this time she took the bottle. She eats pretty often. Sometimes every hour and half, but I am only going to be gone 3 hours, so you are right, she won't starve.
    Thanks again!