Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: finger foods

Default finger foods

Hi, I have a little boy who is 9 1/2 months old . He is not too interested in food yet. . . will take a couple of bites each day.I first intro'ed food to him when he was 7 1/2 months old. So far we have tried, rice cereal, peas, beans, corn, carrots, mashed potatoes, noodles, apples, pears, and his FAVORITE cheerios . For everything but the Cheerios I use my food mill to mash up the food into a lumpy consitency. But he seems to like the Cheerios the best because he can self feed himself the bite size pieces. What other types of finger foods have any of you given to your little ones? I am afraid to give too much because I am afraid my son will choke (he seems to have a terrific gag reflex, which the dr said will go away as he matures) He doesn't any any teeth yet so he just gums everything. He is becoming so independent now that I think he would prefer to feed himself with his own fingers than have me give it to him on a spoon. Any suggestions on what food to try?

Thanks
    logans_mama

Default Re: finger foods

Hi there!
    Sounds like you are doing great with ds!

He is probably right on track to trying soft chunks of foods no bigger than the tip of your pinky. You can offer many of the foods you are offering now, just in small, soft chunks.

A ripe pear will be nice and soft, and cut into very small pieces, he should do ok. Also, a steamed sweet potato can be peeled and cut into very small pieces, and they should be soft enough for him. Ditto for white potatoes. A ripe banana would be a great start, cut in small pieces (dds always liked to mash them between their fingers...very tactile!). Avocado is high in vitamins and iron. Many babies love it!

Cottage cheese, yogurt and soft cheeses can be introduced at 9-10 months. Cooked carrots, peas and beans in small pieces are usually fine. Some little ones love frozen peas! Of course, raw vegetables have more nutrients than cooked, but they are usually too hard for little ones to chew or gum and should be avoided.

If there are no allergies in your family, finger-sized pieces of toasted whole-wheat bread are good chewing foods. Avoid mixed grains until you have tried each one individually.

Meat can be introduced, as it is high in iron and protein (if you are not vegeterians!). Tender pieces of stewed beef, soft well cooked turkey or chicken can easily be cut up into small pieces or mashed with a fork.

HTH!

Thanks,
    I will begin more finger foods. I really think he will like them better because he can feed himself and it is more fun for him Should i be worried about ds choking on a frozen pea??? Thanks for the advice.

logans_mama

Even when frozen, peas are not as hard as, say...the same sized piece of raw carrot, or a nut. Those are very hard and impossible for a baby that size to do anything with, except choke! But a frozen pea has a different consistency. It can easily be mashed. You might want to check it out yourself, but don't do anything that makes you nervous. There is no need to give them frozen...just cook them!

Good luck!