Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surviving International Flight

Default Surviving International Flight

I have been feeding my son exlusively pumped breast milk. (He doesn't nurse). We're planning to fly from San Francisco to Hong Kong next September (assuming there are no international pandemics making us want to cancel). How will I survive the flight if I normally pump every 3-5 hours except at night time when I go 6 hours? I've had clogged ducts before and I don't want to experience that. I've considered using the battery pack on my pump, but I'm afraid of how the airline staff and flying neighbors would react. Any ideas?

Default Re: Surviving International Flight

How long is your flight?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I've never taken the flight before, but a quick google search search says that the dureation is 14 hours 45 minutes.

Holy Moly!

Well...I went on a flight that was only about 4 hours...I pumped in the bathroom at the airport right before we boarded and then right when we got off.

I bet if you explained to the staff on the flight what your were doing they would understand. Just explain to them and the passengers around you about the noises and the pump and hopefully everyone would be supportive!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I was just talking to someone who exclusively pumped for an entire year. When her daughter was around 6 months old, the family flew from the US to Australia. The mom sewed a cape-like garment- she described it as "like one of those plastic rain poncho things, except not transparent" and pumped underneath its cover while seated in her regular seat. She said it did make some noise, but she was seated next to her husband and he was used to it, and no-one else seemed to notice.

I would definitely contact the airline and discuss your needs and your options!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How old will your LO be when you take your trip?
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

maybe you could use a handpump it would be more discreet and prob easier to use in such a small space

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

Talking Re: Surviving International Flight

My son will be 8 months old when we travel. The hand pump and capes are good ideas. My friend said she has an unused one that she would give me. Thanks!

Hi

I just had a non-stop flight from Wisconsin to Seattle earlier in the month and I am also an EP'er.

Although I normally pump every 3 hours, I let it go as long as I possibly could - which was about 4 hours.

I was lucky that:
    1. It was an evening flight
    2. I have a quiet pump
    3. I had a window seat for extra room (if such a concept exists on a plane)

After the crew came through the cabin with snacks, most people just nodded off and I pumped in my seat. I have an Ameda Purely Yours, so I just put it on the tray table, covered myself up with my jacket, and pumped away. The noise of the air flow in the cabin completely drowned out the pump.

Don't pump in the bathroom if you can help it - the force of the flush in the toilet can lead to aerosolization of toilet water and spread microscopic poopy bits all over the place... very yucktacular.

I wouldn't go with a hand-held if you can help it - unless you have a lot of elbow room, I don't think there's going to be a comfortable way to use one in the plane.

Hope that helps!

-Carolina Girl

Princess of the

& Mama to Eirik the Red born 2/26/2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carolina-girl View Post
    Hi

I just had a non-stop flight from Wisconsin to Seattle earlier in the month and I am also an EP'er.

Although I normally pump every 3 hours, I let it go as long as I possibly could - which was about 4 hours.

I was lucky that:
    1. It was an evening flight
    2. I have a quiet pump
    3. I had a window seat for extra room (if such a concept exists on a plane)

After the crew came through the cabin with snacks, most people just nodded off and I pumped in my seat. I have an Ameda Purely Yours, so I just put it on the tray table, covered myself up with my jacket, and pumped away. The noise of the air flow in the cabin completely drowned out the pump.

Don't pump in the bathroom if you can help it - the force of the flush in the toilet can lead to aerosolization of toilet water and spread microscopic poopy bits all over the place... very yucktacular.

I wouldn't go with a hand-held if you can help it - unless you have a lot of elbow room, I don't think there's going to be a comfortable way to use one in the plane.

Hope that helps!

-Carolina Girl

Princess of the

& Mama to Eirik the Red born 2/26/2009
    GGRRROOOOSSS!!!

On such a long flight, the crew has a 'crew rest area' you can always ask them if there's a 'quiet' place for you to pump....I'm sure they will be more than accomodating. And most passengers do NOT like to sit in the back of the aircraft, so mostly likely a row or two will be open in the back - you could pump there too! Granted it's not a full flight.....Good luck and be sure to pump, regardless....And most of all, have fun on your trip to Hong Kong - sounds really exciting!!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008