Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply and weaning

Default Oversupply and weaning

I need advice from moms who have BTDT. I have a DS, 16mo, who is slowly weaning himself as he starts to eat more solids. He nurses 20 mins in the am, then at 3pm nap, then 20 mins before bed.

I have always had an oversupply problem, have tried cabbage, sage tea, nothing has really made a difference. I have not tried block feeding, but wonder if its too late in the game to try this? How do you ever reduce your milk supply enough to wean a little one completely? Is it just a matter of willing yourself to stay REALLY full for several days to get the breasts to stop making milk?

I am a bit afraid of weaning at this point b/c I know that I will be so full, and I am prone to mastitis. Is there anyway to wean more easily when you have consistent OS problems? HELP!

Default Re: Oversupply and weaning

BUMP!

Do any mamas have experience with weaning and oversupply?

Default Re: Oversupply and weaning

sorry mama. I only wish I had an abundant supply. I would say just go very slowly and let DS move at his own pace. As he tapers off if you are feeling engorged you could pump just enough to relieve engorgement.

ETA: often if you go very slowly and let DS just taper, your supply tapers off too.
    Last edited by @llli*sixyearplan; May 9th, 2009 at 04:37 PM.