Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do pumps matter?

Default Do pumps matter?

I occasionally pump and use a single electric Evenflo pump. On two different occasions I have read that Evenflo and Gerber are crap. Is this true? I guess it would explain why I don't pump very much (if it's not my milk supply). What are the best pumps to use? The more expensive the better?

Default Re: Do pumps matter?

The best pump is the one that works best for you. Some moms do well with cheap pumps, some don't. In general, the least effective pumps are manual ones. Single electric pumps are a step up, cheap double electric pumps (like the Ameda Purely Yours) are another, and expensive double electric pumps (Like the Medela Pump in Style) are yet another step up. At the top of the heap are double electric hospital-grade pumps (like the Medela Lactina), which are usually available as rentals.

What sort of pump is best for you depends on what your needs are- will you be pumping exclusively, or working part-time or full-time, or do you just want to leave an occasional bottle for the sitter? If you are going to be pumping frequently, then investing in the best possible pump you can afford makes a lot of sense. If you just want to pump once in a while, a cheap pump may be all you need.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The best pump is the one that works for you. I had the single, Evenflo pump after my first and, you're right, it was crap. I lost my supply very early and, in addition to Ally not being super interested in nursing, I attribute it to the pump. I bought the Avent Isis, manual pump after my 2nd baby and had GREAT results. (Sorry, forgot to mention I also tried the more expensive, electric pumps after my 1st daughter as well and still had the same results- nothing worked very well for me.) The Avent pump worked sooo much better than the other ones for me. I pumped 3x's/day, 5 days/week. I had more than enough to send to the sitter's and ended up with 250+ frozen ozs I had to get rid of. You might be able to rent a "good" pump from your local hospital to try one out, which might be your best bet.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I do plan on going back to work full time in 3 weeks. Maybe I will look into renting one from the hospital. thanks ladies!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    One real quick word about pumping and breast shields. A great number of women need larger shields than the standard 24mm. Shields that are too small can make a good pump appear bad because constriction will reduce output and cause discomfort. Pumping should not hurt.

ETA: since you are going back to work in three weeks I urge you to get the pump you will be using right away. The reason is twofold. You don't want any surprised and will need time to possibly tweak shields, etc. And you will want to build a little stash if you don't have one already to have on hand in those first hectic days where you might not have as much output.
    Yes to all of that!
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Renting a pump is probably going to cost you at least $2/day. Over the course of a year, that will really add up! You might want to consider buying a Medela Pump in Style, which usually retails for under $300.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The main problems are that the small pumps don't cycle often enough to maintain your milk supply, and the ones that require the user to release the suction can damage breast tissue. Most moms I know also find that they can pump faster with a better quality pump, even if it is a comparable occasional use pump. You can get a good quality pump on a budget and IMO it's really worth investing in. I have a PIS that I've used for three kids and I LOVE it. I'm not a frequent pumper, but aside from all the obvious benefits of EBM it's way cheaper than formula in the long run.

What is PIS?

Medela Pump in Style