Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: advice & encouragement please!

Default advice & encouragement please!

I am a 27 yr old mother of two beautiful girls of 36 months and 15 months. I knew before I ever got married that I wanted to breastfeed, and I am still very determined. I just find myself second guessing myself a lot recently. I know that I am not alone in these feelings, so I could really use some advice and encouragement from those of you who have been there and are there with me right now. Thank you in advance!
    My concerns:
    1) I stopped nursing my 1st at 15 months when I found out I was pregnant with our 2nd a month earlier. It was a lot easier than I expected. I made the panicked decision because I was working from home at the time, pregnant, and could not see myself trying to tandem feed. I wanted there to be enough time between the two so that my 1st would not be as jealous of the new nursing baby. Everything went according to plan. My doubts: I wish that I had continued to nurse my 1st now. She has asked to nurse since and does not remember how. She also has had a lot of health problems (colds, ear infections, asthma) since weaning. Granted she has never been a really healthy child, but I can't help but think that she would not have the problems she has now with fear/anxiety and health if I had continued to BF?

2) My 2nd is still nursing and I am determined to continue as long as she wants to, but I have to have a hysterectomy in less than a month and I'm not sure how to handle things. I know that I CAN continue; it is the how that I'm unsure of! She is VERY dependent on Mommy, and nurses frequently during the day and night for feeding and comfort. I have to pump and dump right after surgery. How do I make this easier on her while I am unable to nurse her? Also, the Ped told me today at her 15 month check up that she is not getting enough calories. She has gone from the 75th, 50th, 10th, and now 5th percentile at each check up in her weight, but has been growing in height steadily. (she is 18 lbs 10 oz and 31 " long) Should I be worried about this?
    I am sure that I am over thinking things and appreciate your understanding and support.

Default Re: advice & encouragement please!

You may find this link helpful.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html

I had surgery and nursed after anesthesia. I also talked with the dr. about picking the best bf compatible meds. for during and after surgery. Some medical professionals will err. on the side of caution and tell you not to nurse for X amount of time afterwards but after I did my research I made my own informed decision and did not pump and dump.

You can get through this

Default Re: advice & encouragement please!

Mama, I don't think you should be so hard on yourself about weaning your firstborn at 15 months. That's so much longer than most kids are nursed for, and while I think breastmilk is fabulous, it's not a miracle cure-all. Even breastfed babies get colds and ear infections and even asthma. So don't beat yourself up for only nursing longer than most women ever even consider doing, okay?

I think you are right to be concerned about how your younger child will handle you and your breasts being out of commission. I would nurse her right before surgery (if that is an option), and discuss what is to come with her several times before it comes to pass. "Honey, Mama needs to go to the doctor so the doctor can fix her tummy. I won't be able to nurse you while my tummy is getting fixed. But as soon as it's better, we'll nurse, okay?" You might be surprised how well that sinks in to a little brain!

I don't know that you should worry at all about your child slipping down the weight percentiles so long as she continues to grow lengthwise, meets her milestones, and seems to have plenty of energy. Some (incredibly lucky) people are just destined to be slender for their height! But if you are concerned about your daughter's weight, you might want to concentrate on feeding her more high-calorie but still healthy solids- things like whole milk yogurt and avocado, and olive oil, which goes nicely on/in a lot of things!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"