Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice on reaching 1 year

Thumbs up Advice on reaching 1 year

I am a mother of 3 children. I nursed my first for 7 1/2 months (he lost interest) . My second I nursed for 6 1/2 months (had to wean due to thyroid cancer) . I am currently nursing my 7 month old. I would like to nurse atleast until she is one year old . My question or request is for advice on how to reach a year. She nurses 3-5 times a day. She receives baby food at dinner and supper, and she eats baby cereal (made with breastmilk) at breakfast. I have noticed a significant drop in my mild supply. I used to be able to pump 8 ounces + every morning. Now, I am not able to pump near as much (maybe 4 ounces). I have a really great Medela pump. Anyway, I would definitely like to nurse til a year and I could use the advice. Thanks.

Default Re: Advice on reaching 1 year

I can tell that you are really concerned about continuing your nursing relationship with your baby. Your baby is lucky to have you for a Momma!

As for keeping your supply up, nurse more! If it's not possible to nurse more, you could add a few pumping sessions to up your supply. Several short pumping sessions a day have been shown to be more effective than longer infrequent sessions. Another thing you could try is nursing before offering solids. There are several suggestions on how to keep your supply up on this page:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html

Remember to stay hydrated and well rested .

HTH!

Hi BrynMelLeip,
    You might like this article from New Beginnings magazine earlier this year,
    10 Tips to Breastfeeding for a Year
    It sounds like you've given all your babies a great start -- good job, Mom! Making it to a year is a great goal, too.
    Can you describe to me more about your daily (and nightly) nursing patterns? How about your daughters weight gain and output?

Mary

ITA with the advice to nurse more and definately nurse before each time offering solids so baby fills up on the good stuff, not the solids! I have heard that a good rule is to aim for at least 6-8 nursing sessions in each 24 hours until baby is at least 12 mo.

Remember, pumping is not a real indicatior of supply. Many women who can't pump anything at all (not even drops) produce plenty of milk for their babies. Watch her diapers; you want to be seeing at least 4-5 wet diapers in each 24 hours, and her poops should be neither hard nor dry. So long as the only thing she's drinking a significant ammount of is breastmilk, you know from her diapers if she's getitng enough: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

Smile Re: Advice on reaching 1 year

Replying to LLLMaryP:

My daughter nurses first thing in the morning when she wakes up and then she has cereal. She takes a nap and then she will either nurse and then have lunch or she has lunch. Then I always nurse her again after lunch. She takes another nap and then same routine for dinner. I always nurse after her meals. She then nurses later in the evening before she goes to bed and then she sleeps all night long. I have been really blessed w/ her sleeping at night. She has been sleeping throught the night since 5 days old
    Last edited by BrynMelLeip; August 31st, 2006 at 11:39 AM.

I had a serious drop in how much I was able to pump with my son was maybe 6 mos or so. I could pump 6oz a side when I went back to work (he was 3mos) and then suddenly 4oz total was all I could get! 4 oz total is great now, I usually only get 3oz when I pump. That being said, I am still nursing an 11 month old and he is getting plenty! After posting my fears here, I was reassured that pumping is a sore indicator of how much milk you truly have - let your baby be your guide!

At only 7 mo you really should be nursing her before her solids so she fills up on your milk. Solids aren't really needed nutritionally at this point anyway, and nursing before solids will help ensure that she's getting enough milk (which should be her main source of nutrition until she is at least 12 mo). I think if you started making a point to nurse her before every meal (as well as after if she wants), you'd notice an increase in your supply just from that.