Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Iugr & Bls?

Default Iugr & Bls?

I was talking with another Mom of a baby with IUGR who also had placenta failure like I did with Lucy. They didn't find out about it til later in the pregnancy and her son actually lost weight and muscle and development, whereas we discovered Lucy's earlier and got her out before she went backwards if that makes sense.

This Mom has her son in therapy because of all the issues that placenta failure causes in a baby. The things she was mentioning are exactly the way Lucy behaves around food. She won't allow any food items in her mouth, but is totally fine chewing on toys, paper, etc. Gagging, projectile vomiting, resisting food altogether.

Does anyone else have an IUGR baby that had trouble starting solids? Lucy is so ahead of the curve with all her other milestones. Its so foreign to me since baby-led solids worked so well for Daniel!!

Advice?

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Iugr & Bls?

I don't know anything about IUGR but I thought I could share my experience with my youngest. He was also really uninterested in food until very recently, like a couple of weeks ago. I did a teeny bit of spoon feeding for fun but he truly was not ready until recently, like I said. Now he feeds himself a bit and freaks when we are eating and he doesn't have something to eat.

So is it a possibility that she simply isn't ready? I only think so because my youngest did what she did when we tried food (and we didn't even try until nearly 7 months). He gagged a lot and vomited a couple of times. He is also way ahead with everything, he's nearly walking and was sitting before 5 months so I just attributed it to him putting his energy into that. Now that he's nearly a master of the physical part of growth, he has time to focus on other things, like eating. Some babies aren't ready for solids until after a year, and that's totally fine.

So it may of course be the IUGR thing but it may be simple, like she's just not ready yet. So my advice would be to forget solids for a week or two or more and just wait. With Joey, my baby, it was blatantly obvious when he turned the corner into being ready . He was almost 9 months old. That's what I would do in your situation. Good luck and let us know what happens!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Yeah I don't know anything about the Iugr either, but my son was the same way. He wouldn't touch food. Purees or the BLS route. He gagged, even vomited. He didn't really start eating till almost 1 year. Even now he is almsot 2 he still gags on food often. But he eats a lot.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Thanks ladies! After writing the post we had lunch, and I gave her a piece of watermelon. She didn't gag. She actually enjoyed it.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

yeah thats great!
    Give her some time, shes young yet.