Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old twins, how often? how much?

Default 9 month old twins, how often? how much?

I'm trying to figure out how much and how often. My DD and DS seem to be very hard to feed, at least when I try. MIL seems to be able to get them to eat loads. Makes me feel like I'm starving my kids. They seem to get uninterested in the food quickly. I'll get a container of Gerber Green Beans half way done and they'll act like they're full. After a few minutes they'll start fussing again like they are hungry. After that I'll try feeding them more, but they won't take any more solids. Typically for me, they'll eat half to a full container of Gerber Baby Food and an 8oz bottle. For breakfast and dinner. Lunch they'll take one to two 8oz bottles of formula.

MIL has told me over and over that she can get them to eat three to four contianers of food and a four to eigh ounce bottle of formula.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I starving my kids? What can I do to change this?
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Made it through the first year
    Now what? I'm lost.

Default Re: 9 month old twins, how often? how much?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*2xstarter View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how much and how often. My DD and DS seem to be very hard to feed, at least when I try. MIL seems to be able to get them to eat loads. Makes me feel like I'm starving my kids. They seem to get uninterested in the food quickly. I'll get a container of Gerber Green Beans half way done and they'll act like they're full. After a few minutes they'll start fussing again like they are hungry. After that I'll try feeding them more, but they won't take any more solids. Typically for me, they'll eat half to a full container of Gerber Baby Food and an 8oz bottle. For breakfast and dinner. Lunch they'll take one to two 8oz bottles of formula.

MIL has told me over and over that she can get them to eat three to four contianers of food and a four to eigh ounce bottle of formula.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I starving my kids? What can I do to change this?
    How many times a day are they nursing? How often are they getting formula?

Your babies are the same age as my son and he doesn't eat a whole lot of solids right now. Some days he is really interested and other days he isn't. He always eats better for other people because I think he knows that they don't have mommy's milk and that's the best that he is going to get other than expressed breastmilk in a bottle!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

I nurse 'em a minimum of twice a day. More so at night. Formula they get about two or three times a day.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Now what? I'm lost.

Also I'm curious to how much solids I should give them, in ratio to BM.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Now what? I'm lost.

Solids are really for experimenting with new tastes and textures in the first year.

As your babies are getting a little older, they may want to self-feed instead of being spoon fed. Maybe you could try to offer some puffed rice cereal or rice cakes(unsalted), to let them experiment with feeding themselves?

In response to your question about ratio. At one year, baby shouldbe getting 25% of their nutrition from solids and the rest from BM. Under a year, it's typically less than that.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

If they were getting breastfed 100 percent of the time, then the ratio would be something like 80 percent breastmilk 20 percent solid food. Give or take. Everyone does it differently, but breastmilk should make up the bulk of their diet. Because they are getting half formula/half breastmilk, I'm not sure. I know that breast milk is a complete food - it has EVERYTHING that a baby needs. Formula is different after 6 months, but I still think that even formula should be of higher priority than solids because it has added vitamins etc.

Solids at this point are used to get baby use to chewing, self feeding, and experimenting with different textures and flavours. As a bonus, they are getting nutrients from these solids, however solids should NOT make up the majority of a 9 month old's diet.

oh, and for what it's worth, I think tat 4 bottles of baby food at one sitting is way too much.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet