Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 month old twins, mainly formula fed also on solids

Default 9 month old twins, mainly formula fed also on solids

I'm trying to nurse my two kids more. Mainly I'm trying to turn my life around but am not having a lot of success. I'm really stuck in a rut. As I have a mother-in-law who at first wanted me to go breast as much as possible, but as things continued decided bottle was much better. Hubby's gone, SFIL (Step-Father-In-Law) is gone 3/4 of the time, FIL and SMIL are not around. In short, my only support is me now. I live with MIL and SFIL.

How it mainly goes when I feed 'em by breast, before or after solids, is that they will fuss like they are still hungry. Most of the time I will prop a bottle or two in order to get something done around the house. As when they are napping, one to two times a day, I'm either napping or trying to collect myself emotionally.

I've tried NUMEROUS things, but nothing seems help. I've tried pumping and doing house chores. Wearing a kid and doing house chores. Using Fenugreek, oatmeal, milk.

Here is what I would like to do:
    BF kids till two years old or self wean, which ever is first. Really be involved in the baby stage of life.

Any advice on how to turn this situation around? How can I up my supply and still get stuff done around the house?
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Made it through the first year
    Now what? I'm lost.

Default Re: 9 month old twins, mainly formula fed also on solids

I hate to say it, but you might have to let the household duties go for a while until you get your supply up.

How many times are you nursing each day? How much formula do your babies drink each day? I would continue with the fenugreek and any other herbs. I would eat oatmeal every single day. I would pump as much as possible. I know that a lot of other mamas on here will have much better advice for you. I have a hard time keeping up with one nine month old...I don't know how you do it with two! Kudos to you mama!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

You really really shouldn't bottle prop. It can cause choking, ear infections and tooth decay just to name a few. Do some research on this. Even if you are going to use formula, you should hold your kids when you feed them. I know it's more when you have two. But it's really dangerous.

Way too lazy for formula

"How many times are you nursing each day? How much formula do your babies drink each day?"
    Nursing, two times during the day. Will try more, but won't be for long. Amount of formula, I'd say at least a can a day if I follow the instructions. If not half to 3/4 of a can.

Edit: As for the house chores. I'm hesitant to just let them go, because of my MIL. She will start going off if the house isn't "picked up."
    Last edited by @llli*2xstarter; May 6th, 2009 at 11:46 PM.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Now what? I'm lost.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*2xstarter View Post
    "How many times are you nursing each day? How much formula do your babies drink each day?"
    Nursing, two times during the day. Will try more, but won't be for long. Amount of formula, I'd say at least a can a day if I follow the instructions. If not half to 3/4 of a can.

Edit: As for the house chores. I'm hesitant to just let them go, because of my MIL. She will start going off if the house isn't "picked up."
    If you are offering formula, always follow the instructions on the can - it's very important to make sure that the formula is not watered down

as for the housework, have you spoken with your MIL about your desire to increase your supply?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

If you're feeding purees, you could add BM to their food. It might be an way way to start getting more BM into them.

I agree with PP's as well, bottle propping isn't safe. And getting your supply up to EBF your babies isn't impossible at this stage of the game, but it is going to require a commitment of time and energy on your part. I understand that both of those things are in short supply for you at the moment.. But breastfed babies are held for every single feeding from start to finish, so holding your babies and cutting out the bottle propping would be a good way to help you get more comfortable with the time BF requires, yk?

Does your MIL work? Is she able to help you out so you can get some nursing/pumping sessions in?

I understand that you're dealing with depression as well. Are you taking any medications to help you through that? Counselling? I think depression can make your whole life seem like a lot more work...if you haven't sought help for this yet, I would urge you to do so now. At the very least i would ensure that you are getting out of the house either with or without the babies (if MIL can watch them), just for a change of scenery. Your babies need a Mommy who has the energy and positive outlook to parent them and help them to grow and thrive.
    Last edited by @llli*jessruff; May 7th, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

"have you spoken with your MIL about your desire to increase your supply?" "Does your MIL work? Is she able to help you out so you can get some nursing/pumping sessions in? Are you taking any medications to help you through that? Counselling?"

I can't recall if I did, but her actions a majority of the time are I'm too busy to talk. MIL does work as a realtor. She has the option of working from home on the days she doesn't have to be in the office. Just never takes it up, unless her husband is home. I don't think so, with her actions and all. I'm not taking anything and am not getting counselling. For a while I was, but insurance, at the time, would only cover for six sessions.

My insurance since than has changed and I am looking for a counselor.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Now what? I'm lost.

Any advice?

Edit: I did pump today and got about a total of 5oz. For breakfast (which I normally have to either wait till around 10am [kids' nap time] or skip [mainly skip]) I had oatmeal, milk and mother's milk tea. To me, I'm lucky to eat anything in the day. Normally my only meal is dinner. My cousin, whom is pregnant, (will call her J from now on) came over and help me out A LOT. I kept thanking her after she left. We went through ALL of the kids' clothes and toys. She took about a fourth to about half of what was sorted. I feel GREAT, that the stuff is finally shrank down. Found some things that I didn't know I had or forgot about. I'll try to post B&A photos in my journal tomorrow. That is after I go for a walk and find the camera cord.
    Last edited by @llli*2xstarter; May 7th, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
    New Mom

[Top to bottom in photo]
    Kori & Dain
    31-7-2008

Now what? I'm lost.

It's good that you recognize the need to eat a healthy breakfast if you are trying to increase your supply Mama. Oatmeal is great, many women notice a change in supply when they eat it.

My advice remains the same. hold your babies for meals, pump as often as possible (or bring babies to breast more often!), and try to ensure that some of your needs are being met as well. I'm sure you knownthat eating one meal a day will not be healthy for your supply, so I would definitely make efforts to eat lots of healthy snacks if I had to skip meals.

I hope some of this helps. You've gotten some good advice here. It would be helpful for us to hear what you think of the suggestions so far...
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I know it's super hard to find time to eat, but you need at least 1800 calories to maintain a good supply and you need to be drinking lots of water. Can you place some snack stations throughout the house and then kind of graze during the day? Get some healthy snacks like dried fruit and granola bars and some bottles of water. Granola bars have oats so that will help too with supply.

Do you have a sling you can nurse in? You could use it for the bottles too to free 1 hand.

Have you thought about using a supplemental nursing system for the formula? That could help get in more stimulation at the breast and do the formula at the same time to save you some time.

Will your babies take sippy cups for the formula yet? That would be a much safer alternative to bottle propping.

Have you created a hands free pumping setup with an old bra?

Does MIL help at all after work? Could you work something out where you let the chores slide while she's at work and then she watches the kids for a tiny bit when she gets home so you can catch up?

Sorry for a million questions, hopefully they'll help.