Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No separation in my milk

Exclamation No separation in my milk

i am a new mom who is going crazy bc i don't think that i have enough fat in my breast milk. .... the other day i was watching my friends 4 month old daughter and was preparing a bottle of breast milk her mom had left me...... after feeding her i noticed that there was a small amount of seperation in the breast milk. well, i thought it was funny that my milk doesn't do that so i consulted my pediatrtion who told me not to worry about it i did a ittle test of my own, i left a bottle in the back of the fridge for 4 days and still there was not seperation in my milk. does this mean that i am not getting enough fat into my breast milk for my son? and if not, what can i do to increase the amount of fat that is in my milk.

Default Re: No separation in my milk

As long as your baby is growing, I am sure your milk is just fine! My guess is that what is happening is this: when your baby nurses, he's very efficient and he really empties the breast, getting both the watery foremilk and the creamier hindmilk. (Keep in mind that there isn't a switch that flips between the 2 types of milk; rather foremilk gradually transitions into hindmilk as the breast is emptied.) But when you pump, you may not be pumping long enough or effectively enough to get to the hindmilk, because pumps are much less efficient than babies are when it comes to emptying the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: No separation in my milk

thank you..... that helps a lot at least now i know that there isn't something wrong with me..... and that my son is getting what he needs........