Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Oversupply

Default Pumping Oversupply

My DD is 14 weeks old today. I went back to work about 2 weeks ago and have been pumping 3 times a day.

DD takes a 4oz bottle of EBM at daycare at 10am, 1pm and 3:30pm. I pump at the same times for about 10-15 minutes. This week I have been averaging about 20 oz a day because she spent most of the weekend nursing. My most productive session is the 10am session (today was 9 oz) and my least productive session is at 1pm (4.5 oz).

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I don't know if it's best to reduce the amount of time that I'm pumping or if I could drop a session altogether. She is gaining weight well and isn't fussing at the breast.

Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping Oversupply

I think it sounds like you're doing great! It doesn't hurt to have some extra and to build up a stash in your freezer. I have a theory about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gentini View Post
    My DD is 14 weeks old today. I went back to work about 2 weeks ago and have been pumping 3 times a day.

DD takes a 4oz bottle of EBM at daycare at 10am, 1pm and 3:30pm. I pump at the same times for about 10-15 minutes. This week I have been averaging about 20 oz a day because she spent most of the weekend nursing. My most productive session is the 10am session (today was 9 oz) and my least productive session is at 1pm (4.5 oz).

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I don't know if it's best to reduce the amount of time that I'm pumping or if I could drop a session altogether. She is gaining weight well and isn't fussing at the breast.

Thanks!
    I had a similar situation when I went back to work; in that I was making significantly more than my LO was eating. If you have any room at all in your freezer, and your work schedule is such that pumping isn't adding too much stress to your life, I would definitely recommend storing your excess. After a month of having way too much, and being kind of cavalier with bottles, my LO went through a growth spurt and I got super busy at work, AF came back and suddenly we were dipping into my freezer stash pretty significantly. Things have gotten better, but I think about the breast milk I tossed in the beginning, and regret it . In point of fact, I had no more freezer space, but still. Pumping has only gotten harder for me, and I had a great start.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

First, great job!

I had the same experience early on & stashed it in our deep freeze and now so thankful I did. My lo is 8 mo, AF came back and now having pumping supply issues. I know I make enough when he's @ the breast, its just the pump isn't getting what it used to. I have a rented symphony & pump 3xs a day while at work and nurse nurse nurse when not @ work.

Stash it!!!!