Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping / Expressing Milk - loads of questions?????

Question Pumping / Expressing Milk - loads of questions?????

Hi Ladies
    Please can you help - my 2nd baby is due in October. I would like to express / pump but have no idea where to get started. My 1st baby will be almost 3 when the new one arrives. I couldn't breastfeed my eldest child - my nipples are very flat - I tried a nipple sheild but that didn't seem to help either & ended giving my baby formula. It was stressful, hard & very emotional for me, baby & my husband. With the next baby I would like to express - how soon after the birth can I do this? How often? what pump to use? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Pumping / Expressing Milk - loads of questions?????

Welcome! And congratulations on the pregnancy!

I'm sorry you had such a tough time nursing your eldest. It sounds like you had a very stressful experience! But I'd like to encourage you to try nursing again- every baby is different, and your new one may latch right on and never have a problem. You won't know unless you try! I'd also like to encourage you to contact a lactation consultant (preferably one with the IBCLC credential) right now, and make an appointment now (so she can evaluate you and your needs), and one for very soon after you give birth. Sometimes hands-on help is what a struggling mom really needs! The reason I recommend trying nursing out is because exclusive pumping is a more difficult road to travel than breastfeeding straight from the tap- it can be harder to maintain/increase your supply, hard to find time to pump while trying to care for small children, challenging to store all the milk, etc.

But that's not to say that it can't be done! Lots of moms manage it, and you can, too!!! You can start pumping as soon as your baby is born. You should pump as often as your baby feeds- so, aim for 8-12 times in the early days as your supply is getting established. I would pump at least every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. As far as what pump you should get, you're going to want the very best double electric pump you can afford. Don't waste your time with a manual or single electric pump! I think a lot of exclusively-pumping moms have the Medela Pump in Style. I would talk to the LC about which pump to buy/rent.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome! And congratulations on the pregnancy!

I'm sorry you had such a tough time nursing your eldest. It sounds like you had a very stressful experience! But I'd like to encourage you to try nursing again- every baby is different, and your new one may latch right on and never have a problem. You won't know unless you try! I'd also like to encourage you to contact a lactation consultant (preferably one with the IBCLC credential) right now, and make an appointment now (so she can evaluate you and your needs), and one for very soon after you give birth. Sometimes hands-on help is what a struggling mom really needs! The reason I recommend trying nursing out is because exclusive pumping is a more difficult road to travel than breastfeeding straight from the tap- it can be harder to maintain/increase your supply, hard to find time to pump while trying to care for small children, challenging to store all the milk, etc.

But that's not to say that it can't be done! Lots of moms manage it, and you can, too!!! You can start pumping as soon as your baby is born. You should pump as often as your baby feeds- so, aim for 8-12 times in the early days as your supply is getting established. I would pump at least every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. As far as what pump you should get, you're going to want the very best double electric pump you can afford. Don't waste your time with a manual or single electric pump! I think a lot of exclusively-pumping moms have the Medela Pump in Style. I would talk to the LC about which pump to buy/rent.
    with Everything mommal said!

also try going to a local LLL meeting now before you deliver to get some in person advice and support, get to know your leader(s) and see if they can provide some hands on help in the early days too

how awesome it is that you are looking for answers now so you can be prepared!!

ETA:
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I have one flat nipple and was not able to BF my first as well. I purchased some breast shells that Medela makes that are designed to draw out inverted nipples. I has some major soreness in the beginning, but my DD has figured out how to latch and has actually drawn my flat nipple out. Good Luck!!!!
    Jenn

Grace Madison 12/27/05- never fully BF
    Reagan Wayne 8/7/07- BF 2 1/2 months
    Madelyn Patrice 3/19/09- 7 weeks still BF!

Goal 1 year!

Thank you for your replies!

If you are completely unable to nurse direct after lactation consultant assistance, then I believe the best type of pump to establish a milk supply is a hospital grade pump such as Medela Symphony or Lactina. These are available for rental from hospitals or some stores such as babies r us. The lactation consultant could verify this for you. Then, after your supply is established then you could possibly switch to a lesser grade pump but the highest grade commercially available - such as the Medela Pump In Style.

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming arrival. I hope that you can find the assistance you are needing and that this journey is successful for you.