Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I wean - help!?

Default How do I wean - help!?

I have gotten so much good information and help from you all, but have never needed to post until now.
    I am wondering how to go about the process of weaning - I have always had a problem with OS and want to wean in a way that I don't get engorged because I have a tendency to get mastitis (4 times in 16 months). My LO is now 16 mo, nursing 3X a day (morning, afternoon nap, and bedtime). I tried to cut out the afternoon nursing, but was so FULL several hours later that I caved in and nursed him anyways. I wonder if just cutting down the amount of times spent nursing eventually works (we've recently gone from nursing 2+ hrs a day to 1 hour total)? I wonder if I am just going to have to go several days with feeling very full before my body decides to produce less milk? I don't want to wean him completely yet, but we are TTC and I have not had AF, and I am thinking that if I get him nursing less I might inspire ovulation. Does anyone out there have advice for weaning with OS - how did you do it and still be reasonably comfortable? PS - I have also tried sage tea, it does not always help to decrease the milk I produce.

Default Re: How do I wean - help!?

Well, you could try just spacing out the feedings more and more, if that won't mess up your routine too bad. Or decreasing the time of each feeding. Or both together.

Do you have a pump or can you hand express? If so, you can pump/express just enough milk to relieve the pain of engorgement and it won't slow the process down too much.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Well, you could try just spacing out the feedings more and more, if that won't mess up your routine too bad. Or decreasing the time of each feeding. Or both together.

Do you have a pump or can you hand express? If so, you can pump/express just enough milk to relieve the pain of engorgement and it won't slow the process down too much.
    It will take a few days to see a difference - maybe even longer like a week or so. How long have you been down to three sessions?
    You might consider starting to limit the sessions first instead of just cutting it out cold turkey. Like say we can nurse till I sing the ABC's 2 times then done. It'll take some work but that could help you too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    You might consider starting to limit the sessions first instead of just cutting it out cold turkey. Like say we can nurse till I sing the ABC's 2 times then done. It'll take some work but that could help you too.
    I did that when I stopped nursing Nora to sleep. It worked really well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We've been down to three sessions since Feb when I had mastitis AGAIN and had to go to the ER for IV ab's. I was in so much pain that I couldn't 'mentally' nurse more than 3x/day - my supply had slowed down a bit anyways.

So, it might take me being rather full for several days, expressing only enough to be comfortable, for my supply to eventually slow? All my friends who have nursed just cut out feedings on a whim and seemed to never have problems, so I get a bit frustrated sometimes with having SO MUCH milk. I am grateful though to have such an awesome nursling who still prefers mommy's milk over anything else!

Has anyone else had success with cutting down total nursing time when TTC? Did than help AF to come back? It has been suggested to me that I have to wean my LO completely to ovulate again. I don't want that, would prefer to nurse him while pregnant for awhile, but have not been able to get pregnant thus far. How many people have to totally wean before they ovulate again?

I can't help there, I started getting my period again around 6 months with dd and was still nursing very frequently. You might get some more answers about that in the Fertility forum- there are several moms here who've btdt, so I know it is definitely possible.

Good luck!
    --Anonymous

No help on weaning but I got AF back when I returned to work, are you a SAHM? do you ever spend time away from LO with other women?
    this may sound weird but here goes....
    I am a 'follower' and I firmly believe if I had not been spending time every day with women who are on regular cycles then I would not have gotten AF back. It's so bad with me that if they move my desk at work my cycles change to 'follow' whomever has the stronger hormones (or whatever) around me.... If you have any friends who are having regular cycles I would try to spend lots of time with them, preferably when they have AF, go shopping , have a play date, whatever works
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07