Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with pumping for my 25 week preemie

Default Re: Help with pumping for my 25 week preemie

Sorry Yes I can do K-Care and I go to the hospital everyday to cuddle with her for the one hour a day I get. And my doctor won't prescribe the medication because she doesn't believe in them. She says that the milk production is only a side effect to the drug.
    Last edited by @llli*aryasmom; May 13th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

I'm sorry you're having this difficulty mama. One thing I noticed is you mentioned you are using a Medela Symphony pump - that is the type of pump the hospital had when my son was born and I had a hard time getting milk when pumping from that one also. But I have a Medela Pump In Style at home and when I pumped with that one, I got way more milk. So I would bring my pump with me when visiting my son in the NICU to pump rather than using the other pumps there. Maybe that would be worth a try for you? You can easily adjust the speed and intensity of the suction, which is what I needed to do to pump well.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

no experience pumping for a Nicu baby yet, but will when this baby is born.
    I've been doing my research, and found that some insurance companies will pay for a pump! Esp for NICU babies. So if you are in need of a new pump, like the one Jennie suggested, I'd get a call into the insurance company if you havent already.
    Sounds like you've got a strong little one!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Could you ask the NICU staff if they have a hospital grade pump you can borrow/rent? Your insurance may pay for the rental like Heather said.

Also I've been told Oatmeal will help with milk production too, have you tried having a bowl of that a day for breakfast?

We only spent 3 days in the NICU but I always pumped best when I was in DS's room, and his nurse would put the phone in his bed next to him when I couldn't be down there and it helped.

Could you take a recording on a tape player or something of your LO fussing or even just during a quiet phase to play while you're pumping?

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aryasmom View Post
    Sorry Yes I can do K-Care and I go to the hospital everyday to cuddle with her for the one hour a day I get. And my doctor won't prescribe the medication because she doesn't believe in them. She says that the milk production is only a side effect to the drug.
    How old is your LO now...29 weeks? Do they only let you hold her for an hour? Is that all she can be outside the isolette?

Is the doc that won't prescribe meds your OB? It seems really counterintuitive to refuse you medication if you are having trouble with supply. What is her reasoning? Just FYI, you CAN get Dom without a prescription from Canada or overseas. Domperidone is not an illegal drug. It is simply not available in the US.

My insurance paid for a medela lactina select pump. The PIS is great and I know that a ton of moms have good luck with it, but I always had to use the hospital grade Lactina Select. You can actually purchase used ones on ebay for around what a PIS costs.

In the meantime you could try oatmeal. I also used fenugreek and alfalfa for supply, and fennel for letdown.

I also took little squares of fabric in and put them in his isolette and then each day I would take one home and smell it when I would pump. I also pumped at the hospital a lot.

How are you doing mama? Are you getting a reasonable amount of rest? Do you have people that can help so you can focus on baby?

Good luck mama! Lots of
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hillary its right, Domeperidone is not available in the USA but you can get it somewhere else...

I used it for a long, long time to help me bring my supply up... At 6 weeks my dumb OB prescribed Birth Control pills and killed my supply ... I had to formula fed, and had a hard hard time trying to restablish it again..... I tried everything, but nothing really worked. Only domeperidone help me with my milk supply, like I daid I used it for months.... Our cases are somehow different (Are you in any kind of borth control?) but if you go that way I am positive Dompe will help you..... Please try drinking water as you want, dont skip/miss pumping seasions and may be try to get a different pump.... I used Ameda Purely Yours, I give it a A+..... Send me a private message if you need more info.... Good luck mama.. you and baby are doing great...

My DS was born at 26 wks and spent 63 days in the NICU so I know exactly what you're going through. How are things lately?

I was so determined to produce the milk that I pumped every two hours at the beginning, then went to every three. It really helped! Also, kangaroo care really helped me.

Let us know how things are going mama!

Oh, and I, too, used the Ameda Purely Yours pump and it worked really well. Although, I got the most when I pumped at the NICU and used the hospital grade pump.

Hi, hope your baby is progressing well. My daughter was born at 30 weeks, so not as early as your wee one, but I had to express from day one to give her milk. I also had issues with low supply, tried many things such as a lactation remedy from a health food store, Domperidone prescription on two occasions (didn't really notice any increase on this), kangaroo cuddles, keeping up fluids, making lactation cookies (search on the net for a recipe), and the thing I found increased my supply the most was drinking tigers milk. I'll post the recipe for you if you're interested in giving it a try.

The problem with expressing is it's never going to be as effective as a baby suckling, but with us NICU mums, it's what we have to do until baby can suckle. All the other suggestions you've been given are great. I used to put the hospital pump beside my baby's incubator and pump. The hospital encouraged this. And when at home, would look at a photo of her.

Tigers Milk recipe

600ml Milk
    1 egg
    1 dessertspoon of brewers yeast
    1 teaspoon of wheatgerm
    1 banana
    1 dessertspoon of complan (or other food replacement powder)
    1 teaspoon of oatbran

Put it all in a blender, mix it up and drink. I would split it into two batches, and drink one before bed and the other in the morning. The effects would last about 24 hours.