Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with pumping for my 25 week preemie

Default Help with pumping for my 25 week preemie

Please help!! My daughter was born premature at 25 weeks and has been in the NICU ever since. I have been pumping for her since day one. I started out 3 hours after her birth and have been pumping every 3 hours for 20minutes ever since. Even through the night. I'm using a Medela Symphony pump, and drinking a bottle of water after every session. It's been 3 weeks and I'm still only getting 15-25ml a session. I had post partum with my first child so I don't want to try medications that can bring on depression, but I have been taking Fenugreek for 2 weeks with no improvement. I'm eating, staying hydrated, taking naps, and pumping frequently. Please help my daughter is on continuous feeds and about to start eating more a day than I can produce.
    Last edited by @llli*aryasmom; May 4th, 2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: title didn't make sense

Default Re: Help with pumping for my 25 week preemie

hi mama...congratulations on your baby. Have you talked to your doctor about Domperidone? I could not take Reglan due to the propensity for depression, but I had good luck with the Domperidone.

How is baby doing? Good luck mama...

oh...and
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

no advice just wanted to say and you can do it, you've got us all here to support you, Nolies.mama is an expert on pumping for your NICU baby
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

First I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that your baby is in the NICU. With my second baby my water broke at 26 weeks and she was born at 28 weeks. Pumping is so hard when you are also dealing with the stress of a preemie

I also wasn't getting much the first 2-3 weeks about 4 oz a day. I talked to the LC at the hospital and realized that there were several little things that I wasn't doing quite right while pumping. I changed those things and started getting about 10ml more each session each day. I got up to about 15oz a day when I stopped keeping track(she was NPO for a long time and than had to be on Pregestimil because of issues with her liver, so I knew I had plenty).

I would definitely talk to a LC if you haven't. Are you able to do kangaroo care yet? Sometimes that will help your supply to be able to hold your baby skin-to-skin.

How is you baby doing? Hang in there mama, we are all here for you
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

First of all, congrats on your baby! I am actually a NICU nurse and can empathize with you on how difficult it is to pump for these little preemies! I became a mom about 2 months ago and have a newfound admiration for all of the moms of preemies I have worked with in the past...you have an amazing strength! You seem to be doing everything right so far, so definitely keep up the good work! I would definitely talk to a LC to see if they have any further suggestions, and would also recommend kangaroo care if your baby is stable enough to be held. It is soooo beneficial to you and your LO!!! Also...are you able to pump in you LO's room?? Sometimes even just being in the near vicinity of your baby will help increase production. Keep up the hard work! I hope things improve for you!

Welcome and hang in there momma! I just wanted to say that it is possible to drink too much water and it has been known to inhibit milk production. Don't drink water just because your supposed to. Drink water to satisfy your thirst. And definitely do kangaroo care as soon as the Dr.'s will let you.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Thanks for all your great advice

How is your baby doing? How are YOU doing?
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Hello Mama... Congrats on the birth of your baby

I am mom with a preemie too, and agreed 100% with other posters... Do Kangoroo with your lo if you can, I dont know if you can hold her yet.... 25wks its pretty small, and might need more care....

Could I ask you - How old is your baby now? how many weeks I mean... are you able to hold her? or could you pump next to her? What king of pump are you using?

Dont be embarrast by pumpimg at the NICU or thinking thats not right, that is why they are for... to help you and your baby...

If you cant hold her, try to pump every 3 hours as you say on your post, if you are too tired at night do it every 4 hours, or before bedtime, then 4 hours later, then when you wake up... Its not the same waking up and pump, then waking up and nurse...

If you didnt give birth past 6 weeks, all you need to do is pump more...

Please keep us posted

Actually she is doing great all things considered. She was removed from her ventilator and put on c-pap only 10 hours after her birth. Currently she is on a nasal canula at only 29 weeks. Not to mention that she escaped any and all brain bleeds on both her head ultra-sounds.

I feel silly complaining to the nurses and especially the doctors about my issues with pumping, considering how lucky I am to have (dare I say it) such smooth sailing in the NICU. With a baby that has defied all the odds, and continues to WOW the doctors by insiting on doing things in her speedy time table.

The truth is I have tried everything and spoken to 3 different lactation counsolers, and I still have no results. I'm using a Medela Symphony pump, but have noticed that I only get milk on the stimulation setting. Once the normal phase begins I get nothing, so I have to keep switching back to the stimulation over and over again. This is the only process where I actually get any milk.

I have recently been told about a mother love product called more milk plus. Has any used this? I've been taking the Fenugreek, blessed Thistle, and mother's milk tea combo for 3 weeks with very little results. The "more milk plus" is more expensive but I've heard that women who get no results with the fenugreek often get results with this product. Any thoughts out there?