Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finger Foods

Default Finger Foods

LO is almost 7 months old and is still getting used to solids. He still makes funny faces when I try to introduce new tastes to him. I have been introducing different purees to him, carrots, bannanas, peas, apples, pears etc. but I would like to give him finger foods to see what he does with them. What are some things I can give him? I have tried big chunks of carrots and celery but thats about it. All he did was suck on it. Can i give him banana? what if he bites off a big bite and swallows it? Im afraid he'll choke i guess? But I really want to give him more finger foods and am leaning more towards BLS.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Default Re: Finger Foods

I really liked soft, slimy foods for starting with. That way if she did gag on them, they would come right back up. Stuff like banana (if you press on the tip of the banana it will split into 3 pieces lengthwise and they are the perfect shape for bls., or avacado or cooked sweet potato cut into strips (think french fry shapes). If it's too slimy for baby to grab you can toss it in a little baby cereal powder.

I also gave cheerios, gerber puffs, strips of toast...
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I also recommend bananas, avocado and sweet potato as first foods

I also steamed pears and apples when I was too afraid to offer them raw. Steamed them enough to make them slimey and soft, but still firm enough to hold on to.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

at 7 months old, would he actually "bite" off a piece? Im so afraid of choking.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

taking an infant/child CPR class can really help you feel better about choking

The food that I offered could be "gummed" off.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I have just started doing this. I worry a *little* bit about choking, but I am taking it slow and watching her vigilantly. She eats banana every morning. Getting the hang of it, "biting" off pieces & sometimes sucking on them. They come back out. I believe she gets a tiny bit- whatever is mashed/sucked down. (She is 6 mos.). I gave carrot, though I realized as she was sucking on a tiny "bite" that it wasn't totally soft enough! And was trying to shove more in her mouth So I just picked her up & turned her facing down ... so the carrot came out when she was eventually done sucking on it. Anyway sorry for the play by play. But if you give well steamed veggies & bananas at first you will warm up like I am!! It is so fun. GL.
    Nursed for 18 months

I still need to do the infant CPR class. It has been over 4 years & I need a refresher!!
    Nursed for 18 months

At under a year I wouldn't give any hard or semi hard food. Why take the risk?

The best finger foods are small overcooked pasta shapes like macaroni. Sauteed zucchini cubes (really small cubes). Overcooked vegetables of any type....cauliflower, sweet potato, etc... I almost might take a small cube of bread and slightly dip it in a soup to soften it.

The foods that are easiest to self feed are basically the foods that could cause choking so you have to really watch it. Today we did grapes cut (believe it or not) into about 8 pieces!

Might be gross but I also, from time to time, prechew a piece of food like fish and give it to DD.

E.