Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "clicking sound" while breastfeeding

Default "clicking sound" while breastfeeding

Another question I have is that everything I read says a "clicking" sound is not good, my dd "clicks" almost all the way through the feeding. I know my milk comes out fast, and the lc says that is most likely what it is, but I'm not 100% convinced. I take her off and put her back on but it does not help.... Sometimes my nipple is a whole other shape when she's done feeding, I think her suction is super strong....

Has anyone else had this problem? Ideas? Suggestions?

Default Re: "clicking sound" while breastfeeding

My 10 week old clicked sometimes, but he outgrew it in the last few weeks. He mainly did it when he was really hungry and trying to eat fast, or when I was really full and the flow was strong. If you are getting 5-6 wet diapers and he's not showing any signs of there being a problem I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sometimes it can be a sign of overactive letdown. In conjunction with your comments about excessive gassiness I wonder if you might have a bit of oversupply. Check out that link and see if anything else sounds familiar. It's pretty easy to fix most of the time if you think that might be the problem.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My son clicked everytime he ate until he was about 4.5 month old. I had OALD and it was how he learned to cope with the flow. He got lower on my breast and used his tongue to block and control the flow. It didn't interfere in our relationship at all. And I always have felt that is was a great sign that he learned how to deal with OALD on his own.

Way too lazy for formula

The clicking noise can be caused by many different things.
    Babies with thrush click sometimes.
    The clicking often is that the vacuum is broken. I think that this is something worth investigating a bit more in depth, espacially since you say that your nipple is a totally different shape after a feed.
    An experienced LC/IBCLC should check your baby's mouth (palate, tonguemovement etc) and the way your nipple is distorted immediately after a feed.

You say that you are not 100% convinced my your LC's explanation. Trust your motherly instincts and try for a second opinion.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellynewmom View Post
    Another question I have is that everything I read says a "clicking" sound is not good, my dd "clicks" almost all the way through the feeding. I know my milk comes out fast, and the lc says that is most likely what it is, but I'm not 100% convinced. I take her off and put her back on but it does not help.... Sometimes my nipple is a whole other shape when she's done feeding, I think her suction is super strong....

Has anyone else had this problem? Ideas? Suggestions?

I was reading your other threads and I was wondering if you'd tried some block feeding? It made a big difference with my daughter's gassiness (caused by foremilk-hindmilk imbalance). It might solve your fussiness and clicking problems.

Here's a thread with some definitions and links about block feeding.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My second baby clicked...now its gone away. We did have thrush, but also oversupply and OALD too...but we seem to have more issues with OALD nowdays and now there is no click anymore.

I think sometimes it takes a while for these types of things to even out. I mostly cared about whether she got her wet diapers and poopy ones and was healthy and whether or not I was in pain.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

L's clicking now and that has lead to some gassiness. It took me a while to realize that her latch wasn't right and she was trying to cope with the oversupply and the letdown. Now, when I make sure to get her latch right, then we're good and the gassiness is minimized. No clicking.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Question Re: "clicking sound" while breastfeeding

Okay - I hope I'm not confusing the issue, but I'm confused. Is this the same sound they wanted me to hear in the hospital? The LC and nurses told me I would hear a click-sigh sound when she swallowed. So, now as I hear her nurse, I listen for those sounds, and welcome them.

Are we talking about different sounds? I'm totally sorry, if so.

Thanks!

Danielly Girl

Baby K - 18 days old
    Today's weight 8lbs 14oz
    Birth weight 7lbs 14oz

Different sound. The clicking I heard was baby's tongue losing suction. Sort of a pop inside his mouth.
    --Anonymous

Got it. Thanks!!!

By the way, norasmommy - I love the name Davis. That was one of our boy name choices. I've always wanted a son named Davis. Maybe the next one will be a boy.