Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why do my nipples hurt???

Default Why do my nipples hurt???

So I have been pumping 3 times while at work since Friday. My nipples and areoli (plural?) are really sore...I changed the flanges to ones that fit, I vary the suction and speed, and I'm pumping about 20 minutes each time. It hurts more in the beginning and after about five to ten minutes it eases up.

I started taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. Could that be a factor? I noticed it getting worse since yesterday, but that could also just be the regular progression of whatever the problem is...

Help! I'm not sure I could take it if it gets worse.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Default Re: Why do my nipples hurt???

Are you sure the flanges fit? I thought mine fit, but my nipples stopped hurting when I switched to bigger ones. Also, you might want to lubricate them (the flanges) with a bit of lansinoh or olive oil if your skin is sticking.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

What kind of pump are you using? Can you adjust the suction level? I used the Medela PISA and if the strength was on to high it would hurt. But I know all pumps are different.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Are you sure the flanges fit? I thought mine fit, but my nipples stopped hurting when I switched to bigger ones. Also, you might want to lubricate them (the flanges) with a bit of lansinoh or olive oil if your skin is sticking.
    My LC was the one who switched my flanges, but maybe I will go bigger and see if that makes any difference.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I second this suggestion, I have a thread here on 'proper fit of breastshield' with excellent links with pictures, etc... I ended up with one large and one regular sized

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07