Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do with Friday's Milk?

Question What to do with Friday's Milk?

Hi,
    I've been pumping at work for about a month now. I've been keeping Friday's milk in the refrigerator until DD goes back to DC on Monday. I was told by a friend that I should be freezing that milk. Is that true? I just checked on the milk I pumped this past Friday, and it still smells OK. Besides, I thought BM was good in the fridge for 8 days?
    Thanks!

Default Re: What to do with Friday's Milk?

here is some info on storing milk: milk storage and handling

I do know that if you plan to freeze your milk it's better to freeze it right away, but fresh is always better than frozen so if you're going to use it within 8 days I would definitely keep it in the fridge
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

OK, that's what I thought! Thanks for your quick reply!

PP is right. When I pumped I kept Friday's milk in the fridge for Monday.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

It's totally good till way past Monday! If you have a freezer stash that you want to rotate out then freezing Friday's milk and using frozen just on Monday is a good way to do that. But it won't go bad!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    PP is right. When I pumped I kept Friday's milk in the fridge for Monday.
    , and at one point I was a full day ahead and I would keep both days in the fridge, so Friday's milk was used Tuesdays, Monday's milk used on Wednesday, etc....

Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bunnyscooltes View Post
    It's totally good till way past Monday! If you have a freezer stash that you want to rotate out then freezing Friday's milk and using frozen just on Monday is a good way to do that. But it won't go bad!
    That's what I do. I prefer to use fresh because there are more antibodies, etc., but I want to rotate my freezer so none of it goes bad, so I freeze the last day's pumping and use frozen on the first day of the week. But no, it definitely won't go bad as long as it's in the fridge!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    , and at one point I was a full day ahead and I would keep both days in the fridge, so Friday's milk was used Tuesdays, Monday's milk used on Wednesday, etc....
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Oh man, I wish I could be 1 day ahead! That would be so nice!!!
    Thanks for all of your responses, ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*snowflake1208 View Post
    Oh man, I wish I could be 1 day ahead! That would be so nice!!!
    Thanks for all of your responses, ladies!
    I wasn't one day ahead until DS was about 8 months and had started solids and just took off eating them, suddenly he dropped 1 bottle a day at DC and I was so scared to drop a session and ruin my supply i had worked so hard for if it was just a phase that was going to pass, after about 3-4 weeks of being one day ahead I took 3 bottles (the exact amount i was ahead) for a freezer stash and slowly dropped the third pumping session every night it was a midnight session after DS was alseep so exausting....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07