Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: FTM with pumping questions

Default FTM with pumping questions

My LO is almost 4 weeks old. He usually feeds every 2.5 - 3 hrs by day and anywhere to 3 - 4 at night. I want to start pumping just to build up a little supply in the fridge so that DH can help with feedings or so I can run out to do a few errands and have DH feed him. I have a Medela pump in Style electric pump and a bunch of questions:
    1) If he only takes 1 breast, do I have to pump the other one immediately after? I'm just wondering b/c this is not something I want to do at 2am
    If I don't and LO goes 4 hours, the other breast gets quite engorged so I'm thinking I should??
    2) If he takes both breasts, do I pump both after the feeding or just wait it out until he only takes one breast?
    3) How long do I pump for? I have pumped only twice so far and usually let it go for around 10-15 minutes and get approx 2 oz. I have only pumped a single breast b/c he had just fed from the other. Is this the correct approach?
    4) I have no idea what setting to have the pump on? I read until it hurts a little and then dial it back slightly.

Default Re: FTM with pumping questions

1) If he only takes 1 breast, do I have to pump the other one immediately after? I'm just wondering b/c this is not something I want to do at 2am
    If I don't and LO goes 4 hours, the other breast gets quite engorged so I'm thinking I should??

I would pump the other breast most of the time since when baby only takes one side, I had a great opportunity to get some BM for the freezer from the "full side". Overtime, you will learn when you can not pump but still be comfortable.

When I was trying to build up a supply since I was going back to work, I would pump whenever I had the time in between nursing sessions or when baby didn't "empty" me out. If I woke up early (rarely) or stayed up late (more likely), I would get a pumping session in.

It doesn't sound like you are having to leave baby for long, if you pump once a day for a week, you will likely have enough for husband to manage. Then when you are gone - bring your pump.

Setting - sounds like you got it. You have a good pump too.

DS nursed till he was 2 1/2.
    He can now ski faster than me.
    He can almost run faster than me.
    He is playing music loud, "turn that down!"
    He is reading Lord of the Rings.
    He is wonderful !