Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frequency of pumping or amount pumped?

Default frequency of pumping or amount pumped?

We have decided to give our almost 7 wwek old DD Nutramigen for 2 weeks after she is still bleeding considerably while I have been a dairy and soy free diet for 2 weeks. I am pumping to maintain my supply while she's on formula with the ultimate goal of resuming breastfeeding once we figure out exactly what is going on with the help of a GI. I am using a Ameda double electric pump. Which is more important- how often you pump or how much you pump? I have been pumping both sides at once and getting between 4 to almost 8 ounces total. I don't want to pump too much. When breastfeeding, we do one breast per side because of OALD- which has been much better lately. Should I be pumping a set amount of time or until the milk stops? What if she is sleeping a long stretch? Should I pump every time she eats or more often? I know formula takes longer to digest. Should I aim to pump the same number of ounces that she eats? The most important thing is that I maintain my supply so that we can resume breastfeeding. The past day has been a crash course in pumping, bottles and formula.
    Last edited by @llli*drgslg; May 2nd, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

Default Re: frequency of pumping or amount pumped?

You might ask the allergy forum but I'm pretty sure that 2 weeks is kind of the minimum for getting dairy/soy out of your system. They would know more about elimination times and when you should expect to see some results.
    For pumping, I'd pump how often she was nursing before. Forget the formula oz and timing because it's often totally different! If it was varied I'd just try for every two hours with maybe a 3 or 4 hour break at night depending. Pump to empty your breast, it's usually easier to go down with the supply rather than up. Plus you don't want to take the chance of adding mastitis or plugged ducts to the craziness!

Sorry your having to go though this two weeks, that sounds really tough. Make sure your feeding her with the bottle like you would the breast. Meaning let her latch on to the teat, let her determine how much she'll eat, switch sides (to promote even eye development and muscle tone) and give her plenty of skin to skin time.

Thank you! She was eating pretty consistently every 3 hours and sometimes sleeping even 6 at night. Is every 2 still necessary? Can I go longer at night?

I would pump at least as often as she eats, but probably more often, since the pump isn't as efficient as a baby at emptying your breast so you need more pumping than sucking time to get the same amount of milk & keep your supply up. If it was me, I'd do every 2 hours during the day and give myself one longer stretch at night if she's sleeping a stretch.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks for all the help! I am trying my best but every 2 hours is impossible with another child. Between giving the bottles, soothing to sleep, feeding my son and attempting to feed myself, washing bottles and pump parts, I can get about every 3 hours. It is really hard and I give exclusive pumpers a lot of credit. I pumped 8 times in the last 24 hours. I pumped over 35 ounces during that time.
    She used to eat 8 or 9 times a day when breastfeeding and too 8 bottles during that time. I apprecaite all the help and support. Hopefully we will be back on the breast for the long run!