Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need opinion, FAST!

Default Re: Need opinion, FAST!

Tomorrow Lyric will be with DH until he goes to work at 11:30, daycare from 11:30-6.

Fill in the blank:

If I leave at 9:15am and get back from work at 6pm, DH will need ___oz. and daycare will need___oz.

I'm really confused and apparently bad at math...I'll blame it on my day
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    Tomorrow Lyric will be with DH until he goes to work at 11:30, daycare from 11:30-6.

Fill in the blank:

If I leave at 9:15am and get back from work at 6pm, DH will need ___oz. and daycare will need___oz.

I'm really confused and apparently bad at math...I'll blame it on my day
    Dh will need ONE bottle that is 2-3oz. (IF THAT. Really if you feed her before you go maybe NONE???))
    Day care will need If your baby is in daycare for 6.5 hours. 2 bottles
    3-4oz. That's a bottle every 2hours with you feeding right when you get there @ 6pm Again, I think that's more than you need because she has to nap in ther somewhere but the outside MOST in this frame is 11oz.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Just don't get too caught up in the numbers. Guidelines are really helpful but every baby is different, and their needs can vary daily too. There is no magic number for exactly how many ounces a baby needs. If your caregivers get caught up in that (as mine have) that creates other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Seriously DCP are very used to quantifying and it's a good idea for them to make sure Lyric is actually hungry.

How did Lyric do today? Is she adjusting? How many oz did she eat?
    WOW, what a difference. I showed DH the link for bottle-feeding a breastfed baby and he applied it today. He called me at work so excited because things went so much better with her. He also relayed what he learned to DCP and she did better there too!

She ate 13oz. from 9-5....still feels like a lot though(it comes out to almost 3.5 oz. every 2 hours)...but she wasn't fussy today...

I have an appt. on Wednesday with my LC and we are going to do a nursing session and weight check to see how much she eats in a sitting.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    WOW, what a difference. I showed DH the link for bottle-feeding a breastfed baby and he applied it today. He called me at work so excited because things went so much better with her. He also relayed what he learned to DCP and she did better there too!

She ate 13oz. from 9-5....still feels like a lot though(it comes out to almost 3.5 oz. every 2 hours)...but she wasn't fussy today...

I have an appt. on Wednesday with my LC and we are going to do a nursing session and weight check to see how much she eats in a sitting.
    13.5 is still way better than 19! Now how do you feel about your supply and your stash? You think you will make it?

Way too lazy for formula

I started taking Fenugreek (3caps/3x) and Blessed Thistle (3caps/2x) today...

I got 11oz. at work and another 2 just now. I'm already noticing a difference in production. And I smell like a pancake!

I'm thinking that on Wednesday, I'm going to have to nurse and pump all day because my stash is all gone...

But hopefully these herbs work REALLY well, cuz I'd rather have an oversupply problem than having just enough to nurse with nothing to spare.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Dont feel like a failure! I struggled with people beleiveing that the baby was not eating henoguh. he wiould cry at first when the bottle emptied because he liked to suck, nursing takes longer. I used to send him with four 3-3.5 ounce bottles. That way if he did not use one, I could use the next day. I left daycare with one emergency feeding (they can keep in the freezer).
    I absolutely had to pump an extra time at night. During ht eday I coul dpump out about 10-12 ounces, then I would use the extra at night to supplement.

Now my supply has gone down becuz my lo is 7 mos and eats fewer times per day, I pump fewer now as well and have to send him with one formula bottle. That was VERY VERY hard for me, but after several weeks I am ok with it. Good LUck!

Alright, well I'm back at square one. With my new work schedule, I will be gone 11 hours every day for 4 days (1hour drive there, 9 hour shift, and 1hour drive home). I calculated that she will need about 16oz to last through the day. I had a really bad last couple days off and didn't get to pump, so today, I've been putting in sessions where I can. I'm getting about 1.5-2oz. I will probably be able to pump enough for tomorrow, but won't have any extra for Saturday thru Monday. (I'm only pumping about 10oz. daily @ work).

So that means I think I will have to resort to formula to make up for those extra 6oz. I feel sick to my stomach and I'm stressed out just thinking about it. Thank GOD my MIL is back in town...she helped me feel better by telling me that she had to supplement with DH while she worked, but I just really never wanted that. I almost feel like I would be poisoning her with that stuff. UGH. I know it sounds dramatic, but this is my worst possible scenario.

So I need some suggestions. What formula should I use? Should I have MIL mix it with BM? And if she does mix it with BM, do you still add the water? I want only the best and I'm worried for her tummy.

I almost wonder if I use soy if I will feel better because it's not dairy, therefore not a "replacement" for my BM???

Please help ladies, I could use some encouragement.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

If you don't have the milk, you don't have it. Better to use formula than not feed the baby. And using it a few times doesn't mean you'll never be able to pump enough for lyric, it just means that until you are able to pump enough you need to supplement. I do it. I have with both my children, Nora more than Davis. We've used it a couple of times with Davis and it only motivated me to pump more often so we didn't have to use it regularly.

Don't mix them. use the breast milk first and then formula. That way if she doesn't finish the bottle you aren't wasting bm, you're wasting formula. Definitely don't mix bm with just powder, you'll end up with super concentrated formula and that's no good.

I can't say about soy, I never used it. I think we use Enfamil lipil (see, I don't even know what it is DH is careful not to let me ever see it).

And I want to say again that just because you might need to use it for a few days doesn't mean you'll need it all the time. Maybe once your schedule at work settles you'll be able to pump more or figure out times at home when you can pump extra to make up what you're missing.

You'll be OK and so will she.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous