Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need opinion, FAST!

Default Re: Need opinion, FAST!

Sorry if I sounded like I was pushing formula. I did not mean that at all. I was under the impression that it was one of few options under the circumstances. I agree formula should be a last resort. I just want to make sure that if it IS resorted to, women do not feel guilt or a sense of failure. None of us needs that, mothering is hard enough! I do tend to view suggestions that a baby is eating too much with skepticism, because I think they are pretty good at knowing what is right for them. BUT, my DS is not in day care and doesn't take bottles daily, so I do not know as much about bottlefeeding as others here do, and I can understand how overfeeding might be an issue if caregivers do not understand how breastfeeding works.

Hope we have offered more help than confusion, let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arctic.tern View Post
    Sorry if I sounded like I was pushing formula. I did not mean that at all. I was under the impression that it was one of few options under the circumstances. I agree formula should be a last resort. I just want to make sure that if it IS resorted to, women do not feel guilt or a sense of failure. None of us needs that, mothering is hard enough! I do tend to view suggestions that a baby is eating too much with skepticism, because I think they are pretty good at knowing what is right for them. BUT, my DS is not in day care and doesn't take bottles daily, so I do not know as much about bottlefeeding as others here do, and I can understand how overfeeding might be an issue if caregivers do not understand how breastfeeding works.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arctic.tern View Post

I agree with sixyear. Baby is being overfed. 5-7 oz bottles is too much. 3-4oz bottle should be the largest you make. If you are gone for 8hours a day the rule of thumb would be 8-12oz. Outside MOST you should be going through in a day is 15. Push back in regards to this. Breastfed children need to be held and touched and played with. Tell your DH NOT ti try to feed her every time she fusses.
    And Bottlefed children don't self regulate the way EBF babies do. She will learn to just drink until the bottle is gone. And people (Care givers) often think that because child is getting older, they need more milk because that is true of babies on formula. But it's not true of Breastfed kids. Your milk is growing and changing with her she doesn't need a ton more. Your baby doesn't need 19oz of milk while away from you. A baby that age needs 24-32oz in a 24 hour period. If she gets 19 while away from you than that means she only would need another 5-13oz while with you. Are you still feeding on demand while together? She probably needs what you are producing. 9.5 oz. But if you want to leave 12 or 15 to be safe I understand. But do some push back with your DH and other Caretakers. You aren't failing. You are doing a selfless thing by pumping and working. You just need to continue to trust your body and your baby even when you aren't together. When other people tell you, it's not enough milk, don't believe it. Your baby doesn't need to drink more while away from you than she would while with you. Remember that.

Way too lazy for formula

Tomorrow Lyric will be with DH until he goes to work at 11:30, daycare from 11:30-6.

Fill in the blank:

If I leave at 9:15am and get back from work at 6pm, DH will need ___oz. and daycare will need___oz.

I'm really confused and apparently bad at math...I'll blame it on my day
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    Tomorrow Lyric will be with DH until he goes to work at 11:30, daycare from 11:30-6.

Fill in the blank:

If I leave at 9:15am and get back from work at 6pm, DH will need ___oz. and daycare will need___oz.

I'm really confused and apparently bad at math...I'll blame it on my day
    Dh will need ONE bottle that is 2-3oz. (IF THAT. Really if you feed her before you go maybe NONE???))
    Day care will need If your baby is in daycare for 6.5 hours. 2 bottles
    3-4oz. That's a bottle every 2hours with you feeding right when you get there @ 6pm Again, I think that's more than you need because she has to nap in ther somewhere but the outside MOST in this frame is 11oz.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Just don't get too caught up in the numbers. Guidelines are really helpful but every baby is different, and their needs can vary daily too. There is no magic number for exactly how many ounces a baby needs. If your caregivers get caught up in that (as mine have) that creates other problems.

Seriously DCP are very used to quantifying and it's a good idea for them to make sure Lyric is actually hungry.

How did Lyric do today? Is she adjusting? How many oz did she eat?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Seriously DCP are very used to quantifying and it's a good idea for them to make sure Lyric is actually hungry.

How did Lyric do today? Is she adjusting? How many oz did she eat?
    WOW, what a difference. I showed DH the link for bottle-feeding a breastfed baby and he applied it today. He called me at work so excited because things went so much better with her. He also relayed what he learned to DCP and she did better there too!

She ate 13oz. from 9-5....still feels like a lot though(it comes out to almost 3.5 oz. every 2 hours)...but she wasn't fussy today...

I have an appt. on Wednesday with my LC and we are going to do a nursing session and weight check to see how much she eats in a sitting.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Great idea!