Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need opinion, FAST!

Default Re: Need opinion, FAST!

Well, when I had to supplement with formula for my DD at daycare, here is how we did it. I would take whatever I pumped in a day (say, 12 oz.), and divide it evenly into 3 bottles (4 oz. per bottle). I would send these 3 bottles of BM to daycare, along with 3 empty bottles that daycare could fill with formula. (Daycare provided formula... We just used regular Similac, as DD took it just fine.) I would have daycare give my DD her 4 oz. bottle of BM FIRST, and if she sucked it down and still seemed hungry, they would then give her an ounce or two of formula in a second bottle. If she didn't finish the 4oz of BM, then they didn't worry about offering her any formula. If daycare offered her her 4oz of BM, and she only drank 2oz, they would wait 30 minutes or so, and re-offer the BM again, to see if she was still hungry. They knew how much I hated to have my milk wasted, so they would offer it to her a couple times, but not PUSH it on her, or force her to drink it. Once a bottle of BM is warmed at daycare, they only have 1 hour for the child to drink it, or it has to be thrown away, so the caregivers would offer it to my DD several times during that 1 hour period before giving up and throwing it away.

We used this same pattern for each of her 3 feedings at daycare, and she was at daycare for about 9 hours a day, when she was taking bottles. This method makes for a LOT of bottle washing (6 bottles per day, if daycare used them all), but allowed us to minimize the amount of formula she was drinking, by having her drink ALL of the BM first, before offering any formula at a feeding.

I hope this makes sense... HTH
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; May 14th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I really like Buff's suggestion. Don't stress out about it too much because that will affect your milk supply as well. Sometimes we have to do what it takes to make sure our babies are fed properly and your body will adjust before you know it. Don't think that you are poisoning your daughter...that is not the case. This is just a short term solution to a short term problem. Your other daughter was given formula and she is okay, right? You and your baby will be just fine. Hang in there mama!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Thanks for the advice and support...

MIL is buying the formula so I don't have to see it and she said she won't even bother to tell me how much she ate so I don't have to think about it. That little gesture really does make me feel better. I'm just going to pump as much as I can and start doing some extra pumping on my days off so that at least a couple days a week she won't have any formula.

Sorry for being so whiny.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Court what rock have you been hiding under? I miss you!
    I'm hijacking my own thread....
    Ayyyyyyy! The last few days have been INSANE. DH still hasn't recovered from his vasectomy LAST Tuesday (he got a hematoma) and has been in bed. He's been moody and irritable from being stuck in bed and I have been trying to make his life better. And he gets jealous of this forum if I spend too much time on it, so I avoid it or limit my time here when we're together to avoid the confrontation. I'm glad to be going back to work tomorrow.

ETA: I miss you too!!!! I really wish we didn't live so far away and I could just come over and we could talk smack about retarded husbands...

though I love mine dearly.............................
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown