Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need opinion, FAST!

Default Re: Need opinion, FAST!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    WOW, what a difference. I showed DH the link for bottle-feeding a breastfed baby and he applied it today. He called me at work so excited because things went so much better with her. He also relayed what he learned to DCP and she did better there too!

She ate 13oz. from 9-5....still feels like a lot though(it comes out to almost 3.5 oz. every 2 hours)...but she wasn't fussy today...

I have an appt. on Wednesday with my LC and we are going to do a nursing session and weight check to see how much she eats in a sitting.
    13.5 is still way better than 19! Now how do you feel about your supply and your stash? You think you will make it?

Way too lazy for formula

I started taking Fenugreek (3caps/3x) and Blessed Thistle (3caps/2x) today...

I got 11oz. at work and another 2 just now. I'm already noticing a difference in production. And I smell like a pancake!

I'm thinking that on Wednesday, I'm going to have to nurse and pump all day because my stash is all gone...

But hopefully these herbs work REALLY well, cuz I'd rather have an oversupply problem than having just enough to nurse with nothing to spare.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Dont feel like a failure! I struggled with people beleiveing that the baby was not eating henoguh. he wiould cry at first when the bottle emptied because he liked to suck, nursing takes longer. I used to send him with four 3-3.5 ounce bottles. That way if he did not use one, I could use the next day. I left daycare with one emergency feeding (they can keep in the freezer).
    I absolutely had to pump an extra time at night. During ht eday I coul dpump out about 10-12 ounces, then I would use the extra at night to supplement.

Now my supply has gone down becuz my lo is 7 mos and eats fewer times per day, I pump fewer now as well and have to send him with one formula bottle. That was VERY VERY hard for me, but after several weeks I am ok with it. Good LUck!

Alright, well I'm back at square one. With my new work schedule, I will be gone 11 hours every day for 4 days (1hour drive there, 9 hour shift, and 1hour drive home). I calculated that she will need about 16oz to last through the day. I had a really bad last couple days off and didn't get to pump, so today, I've been putting in sessions where I can. I'm getting about 1.5-2oz. I will probably be able to pump enough for tomorrow, but won't have any extra for Saturday thru Monday. (I'm only pumping about 10oz. daily @ work).

So that means I think I will have to resort to formula to make up for those extra 6oz. I feel sick to my stomach and I'm stressed out just thinking about it. Thank GOD my MIL is back in town...she helped me feel better by telling me that she had to supplement with DH while she worked, but I just really never wanted that. I almost feel like I would be poisoning her with that stuff. UGH. I know it sounds dramatic, but this is my worst possible scenario.

So I need some suggestions. What formula should I use? Should I have MIL mix it with BM? And if she does mix it with BM, do you still add the water? I want only the best and I'm worried for her tummy.

I almost wonder if I use soy if I will feel better because it's not dairy, therefore not a "replacement" for my BM???

Please help ladies, I could use some encouragement.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

If you don't have the milk, you don't have it. Better to use formula than not feed the baby. And using it a few times doesn't mean you'll never be able to pump enough for lyric, it just means that until you are able to pump enough you need to supplement. I do it. I have with both my children, Nora more than Davis. We've used it a couple of times with Davis and it only motivated me to pump more often so we didn't have to use it regularly.

Don't mix them. use the breast milk first and then formula. That way if she doesn't finish the bottle you aren't wasting bm, you're wasting formula. Definitely don't mix bm with just powder, you'll end up with super concentrated formula and that's no good.

I can't say about soy, I never used it. I think we use Enfamil lipil (see, I don't even know what it is DH is careful not to let me ever see it).

And I want to say again that just because you might need to use it for a few days doesn't mean you'll need it all the time. Maybe once your schedule at work settles you'll be able to pump more or figure out times at home when you can pump extra to make up what you're missing.

You'll be OK and so will she.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well, when I had to supplement with formula for my DD at daycare, here is how we did it. I would take whatever I pumped in a day (say, 12 oz.), and divide it evenly into 3 bottles (4 oz. per bottle). I would send these 3 bottles of BM to daycare, along with 3 empty bottles that daycare could fill with formula. (Daycare provided formula... We just used regular Similac, as DD took it just fine.) I would have daycare give my DD her 4 oz. bottle of BM FIRST, and if she sucked it down and still seemed hungry, they would then give her an ounce or two of formula in a second bottle. If she didn't finish the 4oz of BM, then they didn't worry about offering her any formula. If daycare offered her her 4oz of BM, and she only drank 2oz, they would wait 30 minutes or so, and re-offer the BM again, to see if she was still hungry. They knew how much I hated to have my milk wasted, so they would offer it to her a couple times, but not PUSH it on her, or force her to drink it. Once a bottle of BM is warmed at daycare, they only have 1 hour for the child to drink it, or it has to be thrown away, so the caregivers would offer it to my DD several times during that 1 hour period before giving up and throwing it away.

We used this same pattern for each of her 3 feedings at daycare, and she was at daycare for about 9 hours a day, when she was taking bottles. This method makes for a LOT of bottle washing (6 bottles per day, if daycare used them all), but allowed us to minimize the amount of formula she was drinking, by having her drink ALL of the BM first, before offering any formula at a feeding.

I hope this makes sense... HTH
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; May 14th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I really like Buff's suggestion. Don't stress out about it too much because that will affect your milk supply as well. Sometimes we have to do what it takes to make sure our babies are fed properly and your body will adjust before you know it. Don't think that you are poisoning your daughter...that is not the case. This is just a short term solution to a short term problem. Your other daughter was given formula and she is okay, right? You and your baby will be just fine. Hang in there mama!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Thanks for the advice and support...

MIL is buying the formula so I don't have to see it and she said she won't even bother to tell me how much she ate so I don't have to think about it. That little gesture really does make me feel better. I'm just going to pump as much as I can and start doing some extra pumping on my days off so that at least a couple days a week she won't have any formula.

Sorry for being so whiny.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Court what rock have you been hiding under? I miss you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Court what rock have you been hiding under? I miss you!
    I'm hijacking my own thread....
    Ayyyyyyy! The last few days have been INSANE. DH still hasn't recovered from his vasectomy LAST Tuesday (he got a hematoma) and has been in bed. He's been moody and irritable from being stuck in bed and I have been trying to make his life better. And he gets jealous of this forum if I spend too much time on it, so I avoid it or limit my time here when we're together to avoid the confrontation. I'm glad to be going back to work tomorrow.

ETA: I miss you too!!!! I really wish we didn't live so far away and I could just come over and we could talk smack about retarded husbands...

though I love mine dearly.............................
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02