Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need opinion, FAST!

Default Need opinion, FAST!

So, Lyric needs more milky. I thought I had enough stashed...but after today, not so much. I have milk stored at 3 -3.5oz a bag. She's eating 5-7oz. from a bottle according to DH and the daycare today.

Am I pumping as much as she eats or is she being over-fed from a bottle?

I talked to my LC and she said I'm going to have to pump in between feedings to have enough milk for the next day.

Is this the only option, or do you think it's safe to add a little rice cereal to her bottle to fill her tummy? (FORMULA IS NOT AN OPTION, as I'm sure most of you mamas understand where I'm coming from...)

Any other advice?

(Lyric turned 4mos. on 4.26)
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Default Re: Need opinion, FAST!

I would not give rice cereal. Can you have your DH and the daycare make smaller bottles to see if maybe she's being overfed? You could always start taking herbals and eating oatmeal to increase your output. I saw a big increase in output when I drank mother's milk tea. And don't forget to drink lots of water.

ETA: Make sure you send enough milk as a backup - just have them try smaller bottles for a feeding or two. Definitely if she's still hungry they should give her more!
    Last edited by @llli*abbymom; May 1st, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Rice cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard. I wouldn't do it.

According to Kellymom, babies need 1-1.5oz of BM for every hour they are away from Mama. I would have your DH/MIL offer BM in 2 or 3 oz portions and try to comfort her in other ways before offering more. Lots of babies will overeat from a bottle.

Like you needed this stress on top of your crazy day!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Adding rice cereal to her bottle is NOT recommended and there are several reasons why; there is a good summary here: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html

I don't think the problem is that she is being overfed; it's just that pumping is not as efficient as baby, so it's hard to keep up. Maybe some other mamas who have babies in day care can give you some tips, but I know from my own experience that it's hard to get around pumping in between feedings in order to make up the difference. Maybe you can view the formula thing as a *temporary* option (and I KNOW it's a dreaded option; I've been there!)... just while you do some things to boost your supply (more frequent pumping, eating oatmeal, drinking "mother's milk" tea, etc.).

Again, I know it's hard to come to terms with the idea of using formula, but in this case it might be the "lesser of two evils"... it's safer for baby than putting rice cereal in a bottle (ever, but especially at her age).

I will tell them to try smaller portions. I just know DH and his beliefs that mama's milk is instantly calming, so he's quick to give her a bottle instead of trying other things.

They both told me that she got upset when the bottle was empty, and I assumed that it was because she is so used to comfort sucking.

All I pumped today was 8.5 oz. I have maybe another 10 oz. in the freezer.

What will I do???

How long does the mother's milk tea to take effect? Where can I get it?

I need something fast because I'm afraid my stash will be gone by tomorrow.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

So if I have to use formula (and I'm crying as I type this), what do I use??? I want only the best, obviously...

I feel like I've failed.
    Last edited by @llli*courtnidge; May 1st, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    7 oz is way too much breast milk in one bottle! She is definitely overeating. You will probably need to add a session early morning between nursing and one after bed. I would take fenugreek and blessed thistle caps - easier. Kellymom has the doses. I did three three times a day. If you don't smell like maple syrup you aren't taking enough fenugreek. And blessed thistle helps with milk ejection reflex.
    Where do I get those? How much do they cost? And how long does it take to kick in???
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02

Please please please don't feel like a failure. You're dealing with a short-term mini-crisis, not failing. I do remember that feeling... I had a traumatic birth with some minor complications that meant I had to supplement with formula right away, and I felt angry and like I was letting down DS and even "contaminating" him with something unnatural. But, looking back, it was such a short time that it was needed... as DH has said, it's like a drop in the river of all the precious breastmilk DS has gotten.

And you don't HAVE to use formula... I think it's important that you feel like you chose to use it because it was the right decision for the circumstances, not that it was forced on you. It's just a suggestion - something to help you through a time when you're tweaking your approach. Breastfeeding is a learning experience - right now you're learning how to match pumping to your baby's needs, and after a quick adjustment all will be well again! (Until the next challenge.)

As for your questions: I get mother's milk tea at a natural foods store. I think it takes a day or so before I notice a difference. For me, oatmeal seems to work a little faster and make a slightly bigger difference. (But I've usually used both tea and oatmeal at once, so hard to say.) I haven't tried capsules or supplements. For formula, we used a sensitive stomach kind (I don't remember the brand; our ped said they're really not that different). Oh, and buy a small can of it; it will make you feel better. (I have an extra can in the pantry that's never been opened; I see it now and smile smugly because I haven't needed it since those early days.) If you do try formula, know that you'll get through it and just look back on it as a bump in the road, and you'll have that proud feeling that you did the best for your baby by finding a way to keep her on breastmilk! Hang in there!

Sorry if I sounded like I was pushing formula. I did not mean that at all. I was under the impression that it was one of few options under the circumstances. I agree formula should be a last resort. I just want to make sure that if it IS resorted to, women do not feel guilt or a sense of failure. None of us needs that, mothering is hard enough! I do tend to view suggestions that a baby is eating too much with skepticism, because I think they are pretty good at knowing what is right for them. BUT, my DS is not in day care and doesn't take bottles daily, so I do not know as much about bottlefeeding as others here do, and I can understand how overfeeding might be an issue if caregivers do not understand how breastfeeding works.

Hope we have offered more help than confusion, let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arctic.tern View Post
    Sorry if I sounded like I was pushing formula. I did not mean that at all. I was under the impression that it was one of few options under the circumstances. I agree formula should be a last resort. I just want to make sure that if it IS resorted to, women do not feel guilt or a sense of failure. None of us needs that, mothering is hard enough! I do tend to view suggestions that a baby is eating too much with skepticism, because I think they are pretty good at knowing what is right for them. BUT, my DS is not in day care and doesn't take bottles daily, so I do not know as much about bottlefeeding as others here do, and I can understand how overfeeding might be an issue if caregivers do not understand how breastfeeding works.

Hope we have offered more help than confusion, let us know how it goes!
    I agree with sixyear. Baby is being overfed. 5-7 oz bottles is too much. 3-4oz bottle should be the largest you make. If you are gone for 8hours a day the rule of thumb would be 8-12oz. Outside MOST you should be going through in a day is 15. Push back in regards to this. Breastfed children need to be held and touched and played with. Tell your DH NOT ti try to feed her every time she fusses.
    And Bottlefed children don't self regulate the way EBF babies do. She will learn to just drink until the bottle is gone. And people (Care givers) often think that because child is getting older, they need more milk because that is true of babies on formula. But it's not true of Breastfed kids. Your milk is growing and changing with her she doesn't need a ton more. Your baby doesn't need 19oz of milk while away from you. A baby that age needs 24-32oz in a 24 hour period. If she gets 19 while away from you than that means she only would need another 5-13oz while with you. Are you still feeding on demand while together? She probably needs what you are producing. 9.5 oz. But if you want to leave 12 or 15 to be safe I understand. But do some push back with your DH and other Caretakers. You aren't failing. You are doing a selfless thing by pumping and working. You just need to continue to trust your body and your baby even when you aren't together. When other people tell you, it's not enough milk, don't believe it. Your baby doesn't need to drink more while away from you than she would while with you. Remember that.

Way too lazy for formula