Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straw Cups?

Question Straw Cups?

We haven't introduced water or juice yet. LO will be 7 months on Saturday. Although she'll take a bottle for the occasional BM when I'm out (maybe once a month). I'd prefer not to introduce it any more often and go to a cup.

I've been reading that a straw cup is better than a sippy for BF'd babies. Do you agree? What brand do you ladies recommend?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Straw Cups?

yep, Clayton did the best with a soft straw sippy. I think Nuby made the ones he used.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

We used the cups that came with a lid and you have to insert a straw. Not sure the brand but we bought them at Walmart. Worked great for us.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirlsmom View Post
    We used the cups that came with a lid and you have to insert a straw. Not sure the brand but we bought them at Walmart. Worked great for us.
    These would be great. DD broke her first straw sport bottle and I'm having trouble finding a straw cup without a no-spill valve. It makes it harder for them to get the water. Playtex makes a Baby Einstein one that isn't too bad, you can bypass the valve inside.

FWIW, I'm getting the ones that PP mentioned. Less muss and fuss. Just not quite as portable, but great for home!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

We had an issue with the hard straw ones, LO jammed the straw into the roof of his mouth.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumma2thumper View Post
    We had an issue with the hard straw ones, LO jammed the straw into the roof of his mouth.
    Poor LO!! Was that the nuby?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

These ones from Nuby right?
    No-Spill™ Flip n' Sip™ Cup
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

This is what we have. Soft straw.
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; April 30th, 2009 at 08:17 PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

We use the Nuby ones in the picture. We tried lots of different cups, but DS couldn't get the hang of any the other ones. I don't know why exactly, because since I EPed he was bottle fed. He doesn't understand any cup that he has to tilt back because we always feed him his bottles, he doesn't do it himself.

It did take a little while for DS to figure out how to get the liquid out because of the valve. If it didn't have the valve though, I know he would just dump it out. He drinks out of them really well now.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

We have a couple of the nubys. Just that valve thing She's used to drinking out of our Camelback bite valve bottles, so having to suck that hard is a PITB for her

My favorite is the one from iPlay. But it's not spillproof.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63