Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 16 Weeks & Wondering About Solids

Default 16 Weeks & Wondering About Solids

My son is 16 weeks old & he is breast/formula fed (because I'm a working mom and only get to pump once a day) My son is a big boy - he weighs 20 pounds @ last weigh in He has an obsession with stuffing his hand or anything he can get his hands on into his mouth .. so the other day my mother decided it was a good idea to let him lick the salt off of a potatoe chip. And I guess he loved it - Then today I caught my dad giving him "no sugar added" ice cream .. and to be honest he didn't seem to mind it ... Now, I'm worried what they might be giving him and not telling me ... Is this all really bad for him or am I over reacting?
    1ST TIME MOMMY OF BABY BOY DYLAN THOMAS BORN 12/29/2008 - BREECH BORN VIA C-SECTION 7LBS 7 OZ 21" - NOW @ 16 WEEKS 20LBS

AND

Default Re: 16 Weeks & Wondering About Solids

Personally I would be very upset. Salt isn't good for anyone, nevermind a baby! Then, the ice cream is dairy which shouldn't be introduced so early. Considering the possibility of food reactions, how would you know what he was reacting to if the introduction of foods isn't controlled?

I was also advised by our doctor not to introduce solids until 6 months of age. So he's no where near old enough.

In the end, what's the rush? I would question why they're choosing to feed him foods without your consent. And unhealthy foods at that! What are they trying to achieve by feeding him inappropriate foods? There's no advantage to feeding him solids so early and in fact can actually hurt him.

Time to step in as Mom and make them stop.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I am very upset over it ... I think they think it's cute and yes maybe it is but not health for my son at all .... I appreciate your advice and I will step in and put a stop to it.
    1ST TIME MOMMY OF BABY BOY DYLAN THOMAS BORN 12/29/2008 - BREECH BORN VIA C-SECTION 7LBS 7 OZ 21" - NOW @ 16 WEEKS 20LBS

AND

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jamie16055 View Post
    I am very upset over it ... I think they think it's cute and yes maybe it is but not health for my son at all .... I appreciate your advice and I will step in and put a stop to it.
    That's just it. This is your baby's health you're talking about. He's not there for their entertainment. Maybe talk to your doctor about it and get his / her recommendations to help you have the talk with them.

Best of luck hun - you're the Mom and you're right.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and