Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EP - Growth Spurt Question?

Default EP - Growth Spurt Question?

If you EP how do you account for growth spurts? I am going to try EPing for the next couple of days to weeks as my nipples heal and my little one gets some help for his tongue thrusting. Ideally I would like to get him back on the breast once it is done. He will be five weeks tommorow so most likely he will go through a growth spurt during this time. Right now my plan is to pump 10 times per day. TIA!

Default Re: EP - Growth Spurt Question?

What problems are you having that you would need to EP for? Maybe if you were able to fix your problems you are having you wouldn't need to EP.

The problem with EP'ing that early is your body responds quite differently to a pump than it does the baby. A lot of times there is substantially different output from the pump then the breast.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    What problems are you having that you would need to EP for? Maybe if you were able to fix your problems you are having you wouldn't need to EP.

The problem with EP'ing that early is your body responds quite differently to a pump than it does the baby. A lot of times there is substantially different output from the pump then the breast.
    My nipples are badly damaged (half of each is gone) due to tongue thrusting and a slightly shallow latch. We are going to get some help for DS with some OTPT, although the appointment may be up to three weeks away. I am trying to pump for at least few days (or weeks) to allow them to heal and then hope to go back to the breast. I am also doing saline rinse and will be picking up my APNO tommorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*poodge View Post
    My nipples are badly damaged (half of each is gone) due to tongue thrusting and a slightly shallow latch. We are going to get some help for DS with some OTPT, although the appointment may be up to three weeks away. I am trying to pump for at least few days (or weeks) to allow them to heal and then hope to go back to the breast. I am also doing saline rinse and will be picking up my APNO tommorrow.
    APNO will help a lot. Have you seen an LC to help with the latch? You might be able to see someone a lot sooner that way.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

You definitely hit on one of the big problems with exclusive pumping!

When you nurse, you can count on the baby to increase your supply by feeding more frequently, so the key to making EP work during a growth spurt is to pump more frequently. 10 pump sessions per day is a good start, but if you can slip a few more in whenever you have a free moment you will be rewarded with more milk.

A major challenge when EPing is washing up all the bottles and pump parts. My LC recommended leaving the pump set-up attached to the bottle, and popping the entire assembly in the fridge. She said it was safe to pump new milk on top of old 1 time before the pump parts needed to be washed again. I found it really helpful to have a large basin and throw all the dirty bottles into it, and do a major washing two or three times a day instead of being constantly at the sink.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"