Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maternity Leave?

Default Maternity Leave?

Different countries have different laws and policies for maternity leave. I feel truly lucky to be in Canada where we have a year off (17 weeks pregnancy leave, 35 week parental leave). Either parent can take off the parental leave (if not the mother, it is 37 weeks). It's paid via our unemployment insurance programs, so I have paid into the system while I was working (it's not free).

I have to admit that I wish it was longer. It bothers me that I'll be paying a massive part of my pay cheque to have someone else raise my child. At the same time, I realize that there are places where women don't get any leave.

So how long did you get? How long would you like to have? Do you think it should be a government program or that parents should be made to arrange it themselves? And please note where you are so that we know the differences.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Maternity Leave?

With Nora I got 5 weeks, with Davis I got 6. All unpaid (this varies by state/employer) except the sick/vacation time I had saved up (which I was required to use). I had planned to take 8 weeks this time but we ran out of $ so I had to come back early. And of course once I'm back I have zero sick/vacation time available for if the baby gets sick and when he's got drs appts.

I'm all about a federally mandated paid maternity leave. I think it would be great, even if we only got partial pay. The type of system you have, where you pay into it like unemployment, sounds great to me.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I live in Oklahoma. No mandatory anything. Plus I work in a small company so FMLA doesn't apply. I got 12 weeks, but only after fighting b/c older women in office thought 6 weeks should be plenty. The good thing is I got 6 weeks paid and 6 weeks unpaid. So that was helpful. I wish the US had a mandatory time off. I would have loved to have taken a year or more. I think people undervalue a mother's time with her children. It really angers me sometimes. I couldn't believe when I heard about that French government official that returned to work like 5 days after having a c-section. That's a lot to live up to.
    Last edited by @llli*stuartjr; April 30th, 2009 at 01:28 PM.

WOW! A whole YEAR?! I'm jealous. In California, I get 6 weeks disability(paid through work disabilty), 6 weeks maternity(paid through work disability), 6 weeks Family Leave (paid through state disability), and 6 weeks (unpaid).

California state disability took forever though, I went unpaid for more than HALF of that time off.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    the sick/vacation time I had saved up (which I was required to use).
    My employer requires this now too (change of policy ONE MONTH before I went out) but I cashed mine out instead of taking it as time.

I had to go out on bed rest before he was born so my disability kicked in before. Then I got 8 weeks (c-section) PP and 6 weeks FMLA after that. Then I took another 4 weeks unpaid. I was out from November 10 to March 3.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Hillary, did you get paid for your FMLA leave? I used FMLA too, but it was unpaid. Basically all it did was guarantee he couldn't fire me.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Hillary, did you get paid for your FMLA leave? I used FMLA too, but it was unpaid. Basically all it did was guarantee he couldn't fire me.
    Yes, our FMLA is the same rate as our state disability. I got roughly 60% of my salary while out.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

If you're curious, here's a link to our leave rights here in Ontario:
    http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/.../guide_11.html

I get a little over $800 every 2 weeks. Not a pile of money, but enough to keep the wolves from the door. It's been a big adjustment moneywise but I can't imagine going back early if I have the chance to stay with her.

One advantage to delivering early is that I worked right up to when I gave birth (left work at 7pm the night before, gave birth at 11:14am the next morning). So I get to stay home until she's a year old. If I could figure out a way to work from home, I would.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

i ended up with 14 months off..i finished the 7th dec 2007..and returned 2nd feb 2009..my due date was 6th jan, baby boy came on the 19th jan 2008

in the uk we are entitled to 1 year
    Dads get 2 weeks paternity leave, and that is fairly new, they used to get nothing.

39 weeks of that we recieve statutory maternity pay..

To qualify for SMP you must have been:

* employed by the same employer continuously for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due
    * earning an average of at least £95 a week

How much SMP do you get

If you qualify for SMP, it is paid:

* for the first six weeks at 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings with no upper limit
    * for the remaining 33 weeks at the lower of either the standard rate of £123.06, or 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings

How your average weeking earnings are calculated

To qualify for SMP your average weekly earnings must be at least £95 a week, this is called the lower earnings limit (LEL).

To calculate your average weekly earnings your employer will average your gross earnings over a period of at least eight weeks up to and including the last payday before the end of your qualifying week. The qualifying week is the 15th week before the week your baby is due. This period may vary depending on how often you are paid – weekly, monthly or other intervals.

For working out SMP purposes, ‘pay’ means gross pay that is due to you before any deductions. Your employer will take into account your gross pay that you received in the set period, as long as it counts for National Insurance (NI) contributions (or would count if you earned enough or were old enough to pay NI contributions).

If you get sick pay, overtime payments, bonus payments, arrears of pay or holiday pay this is all included to work out your SMP, if you actually get them in your set period. It is when you get paid the money that counts, not when it was actually earned.

some employers, like mine also give added benefits...

so i got full pay for 8 weeks, then half pay plus the smp up to 6 months, then smp only for 3 months, then nothing for the last 3 months. BUt because i went off work in the dec, i tagged my annual leave on the start, so finished at 36 weeks, had 2 weeks annual leave, my mat leave started at 38 weeks in the 2007, then i actually finished mat leave in the christmas week of 2008, but didnt return to work till the feb 2009, as i had all that years annual leave entitlement to take, and i added it on the end.

i have to return to work for 3 months after, or i have to pay back the extra occupational mat pay i recieved from my employer. if i had decided to not return to work, regardless i would have been entitled to the smp for the 39 weeks.

i did however, return to work in the feb 22 weeks pregnant this year, so i actually go on mat leave again next week at 36 weeks pregnant, again i get the full year if i wish, and i recieve the smp again.

there was some working out if i would recieve the full time extra occupational maternity pay ( the extra from work), as for the 8 weeks before the qualifying week..which is the 15th week before edd..!! i needed to be recieving my wages, and luckily i was, as i was on annual leave, so i get my full package again...as my occupational mat leave is based on my wages in the 8 weeks before the qualifying week..
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Oh, and I forgot to mention that DH got 6 weeks FMLA too....(paid at 60%)
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel