Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Protecting from germs...

Default Protecting from germs...

Hi all,

We have been doing lots of hand washing/using sanitizing wipes when out before we touch Owen and when we do take him out places I tend to wear him in the Moby Wrap and keep him fairly covered so people don't try to touch him and he hopefully is somewhat sheltered from germs. We do take him out with us and to Emma's activities, but I've kept it to the same few places and while we get together with other people, only a few have held him and they wash their hands first (4 family members and 1 girlfriend). I feel like we are doing what we reasonably can to protect him from germs. But, in a few weeks we are going to MA (from MI) - we are driving and are staying overnight in a hotel one night each way. I'm worried about all the new germs he will be exposed to on the trip and when we're out visiting my parents. We are going for my sister's graduation and there will be A LOT of people and kids at the graduation party who will want to see him and many family members who haven't met him yet that will want to hold him. I'm really nervous. Of course I would have them wash their hands first, but how can I handle explaining to people that he shouldn't be touched a lot? Am I overreacting? I plan on wearing him in the Moby Wrap during the party but I know people are going to ask to hold him anyways...
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: Protecting from germs...

I haven't btdt, but what I would probably do is just be honest with them. Tell them he's a preemie and he's more susceptible to infection so according to doctor's orders (whether that's true or not) you're not letting many people hold/touch him until he's older. They can't possibly argue with that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I don't think that you are overreacting mama. I was the same way. We washed OUR hands a lot, but we didn't overdo it in our own home. Then we were just really honest with people about not wanting people to hold him. Grandma and grandpa could after they washed their hands, but not really anyone else.

We had to go to my grandmother's funeral in March after he was born. So he was about 3.1 months old (1 month adj) and we didn't let ANYONE hold him. It was just too much. I think people should be understanding about that...looking is great, passing around and holding is too much. Especially since he could get way overstimulated.

So basically mama...I don't think that you are overreacting.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

with everything Paige and Hillary said. You have to be careful, and people will understand that.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Thanks ladies. I've been feeling so anxious about it lately, it's good to know I'm not overreacting. I feel so protective over him and see him as really fragile still.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Mom, you are being reasonable. BTDT. Mine was born in December - the height of Flu and RSV Season.

Two things to consider - First, you will be exposed to the same germs he will be in the hotel room. So you will begin to produce the antibodies to fight it off, further protecting your LO. Second - at the final desination, you are in control of who carries and touches baby. If family cant understand, then there is a bigger issues than germs. If you are comfortable with someone holding your baby - set up a "hand washing/sanitizing station" in a common area - kitchen sink, bathroom that is easily acessible.

HTH.
    Mom of Two Full Term Breastfed Preemie Boys!
    Watch out!!! I Nurse a Toddler/Preschooler!!!
    Children wean when they are ready.....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    Thanks ladies. I've been feeling so anxious about it lately, it's good to know I'm not overreacting. I feel so protective over him and see him as really fragile still.
    You are not overreacting mama, our lo's are really fragile, people will understand that, if they they dont, then dont let that bother you... Its harder to see them get sick, it last longer on them...

Your lo your rules