Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning with Sadness

Unhappy Weaning with Sadness

I am weaning my 13 month old son with great sadness this week. I was diagnosed with CML (a form of leukemia) a few months ago and need to start a form of chemotherapy. My doctor stated that I would need to stop breastfeeding before I start the medication. I knew that it would be hard but I didn't realize how difficult it would be emotionally for me. I nursed my daughter (who is now almost 5) until she was 3 years/2 months old. It was such a great bonding experience. Whenever she needed comfort, I was able to give it to her. I am so sad that I will not be able to offer the same thing to my son. He will not take a bottle as he has been exclusively breast feed up to this point. There are so many times when I see mothers that do not nurse and how difficult it is for them to comfort their babies versus the mothers that can offer immediate comfort. My husband doesn't really understand what I am going through and doesn't offer very much emotional support regarding this difficult change for me. I guess I just needed to express my sadness and get some encouragement for this difficult transition for me and my little boy. I know I will be missing out on the next 2 years of bonding and closeness that I took for granted I would have again with my second child.

Default Re: Weaning with Sadness

(((((HUGS)))))
    I found it emotionally difficult when my dd weaned at 2 years 7 months (when she was 3 we started relactating), so I really understand some of what you're going through.
    You will still be able to comfort your ds. A mother's arms are just as omforting as her breasts.

Is it possible to keep your supply up through the treatment by pumping?
    How long will the treatment last for?
    Perhaps you can pump as much as you can now, so you have a supply while you are doing the treatment, and then when its over you can go back to nursing (fingers crossed).

Wishing you all the best, let us know how it turns out.

oh bless your little heart! This is not an area that I know much about. Have you referenced Thomas Hales' book to see about the meds that you will be on? Also I wonder if you could pump to maintain your supply and what is the half life of the meds while in your body? Many prayers to you and your family!

((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

I'm sorry to hear how difficult this is for you. I'm sure that you must be feeling a range of emotions. Your lo needs his mother to be healthy for him so you must do what you have to- yet that does not take away how much your heart aches knowing the bf bond well. I'm sure extra cuddles go a long way, but not far enough.

If you could pump to keep up your supply, I think that's a wonderful idea!

My heart goes out to you and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi