Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS won't nurse for long, supply is down, but will eat solids

Default DS won't nurse for long, supply is down, but will eat solids

My DS just turned 7 months on Sunday. He has been on solids for about a month. Last week we had company and were very busy and he did not want to nurse much or for long. He started pinching my nipple, at first I think this was a game, but I am now thinking it may be because my supply is down. Today he has only nursed for quick 5 minute or less intervals, I am trying to have him nurse more frequently in the hopes of increasing supply.

I suspect his nursing strike is related to being very distractable and wanting to see, hear and experience everything that is going on all the time and that he wants solids instead of BM. Anytime he sees us eating, or when I am cooking he does his sign for food or more (he uses a hand gesture when he wants something).

His weight gain has slowed to nothing. I had him in last week for a follow up and he had lost an ounce from the week before, the two weeks before that he was only up 2 ounces in 2 weeks. Prior to solids he was gaining a half and ounce a day.

My question is what should I do? His only good nursing session today came at about 11am. He's had a 2 hour nap (he has never napped that long before) and I did not give him any solids this am. I only gave him solids today after the good BF session. Should I stop solids all together for a while? I am worried he will become aniemic if I do. My husband thinks we should stop solids and let him exclusivley BF until ge gets back on track. He is eating VERY little and his wet diapers are much fewer than they were even last week.

He is dairy and soy intollerant or allergic and is now on prevacid for reflux which has been an issue since day 1. It took him 9-10 weeks to even be able to latch on and feed so I am not ready to give up on BF and switch to formula or anything like that.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Liam 9-26-08 since 9-26-08

Default Re: DS won't nurse for long, supply is down, but will eat solids

I'm sorry you are going through this. My lo likes solids, too....If you think it would help, you can definitely try backing off on solids - or pump and add bm to his veggies or cereal, etc. Does he nurse at night? That has always helped my supply when my lo doesn't want to nurse during the day. They can get a lot of milk out in a little bit of time - so, even if he's only nursing for a couple of minutes, he might be getting more than you think. Is he just starting to crawl and move more? That can slow weight gain, also - just some thoughts. HOpe that helps!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

At seven months Mama, I would back off the solids. I'm with your DH. Babies want to be included at mealtime because it's a social occasion, but they don't need solids until at least a year of age. Your milk is the most nutritious thing for him, he doesn't need to fill up on things like cereal and veggies.

*I* would exclusively BF and offer some nutrient dense solids for self feeding to include him at mealtimes. Even some stuff that won't be easy for him to eat much of, like dry toast, or large smooth bones from meat dishes.

Offer to nurse every two hours or more, eat oatmeal and drink lots of water. Your supply will rebound.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Your DH is pretty smart I think. It's what I would do. If your schedule allows I would also recommend nursing DS when he's sleepy and less distracted.

Also, after six months weight gain typically slows way down in infants due to increased activity.

Thanks everyone, you talked me down off a ledge! I am / was freaking out about this. I am worried my supply will dry up, he will stop nursing, etc. It was a LONG road to get to this point and I want to nurse for a min of 15 months.

He would not nurse all evening, cried every time I brought him to breast but was grunting and signing for food during dinner. We brought him to the table but gave no solids this time. I had to wait until he was almost asleep and then nurse him. He nursed for a while and I could hear him gulping away. I will make sure I nurse him when he is almost asleep during the day too.

he does nurse well during the night, and last night i made sure he nursed anytime he rolled, moved or made a peep! I am very concerned he is going to get dehydrated. it has been very hot here and continues to be pretty warm.

I've never tried offering him large solids or going the BLS way. i do make all of my own baby food, and had been mixing breast milk in with everything when I served it. But stopped last week because we had so many people here and were going all week.

Sometimes my DH comes up with some good ideas

Thanks everyone, I am glad I am not the only one this has happened too!

The cool thing about BLS is baby is so
    happy to be able to put food in his mouth and taste it but not able to get so much at such a young age as to compromise the milk he NEEDS to
    be drinking.

I hear you on the early hard times and not wanting to wean soon.

Sounds like you are going right on track! I am dealing w/ a similar balance w/ my 10 mo. old. It is tough b/c they want to be included in the meals! She will eat TONS if I let her, so I have to back off of solids a little if I feel like she's not nursing as well or getting enough. And I definitely agree with the idea that as they grow, they gain less weight. My first baby dropped from the 90th percentile to the 50th percentile between 6-7 mo. because he started crawling. Hope things continue to go well for you!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Well as of my last post I have stopped giving solids all together and he is back on track with nursing. Supply is back up, which was my biggest worry. He has not had a BM in 3 days, which has been a major issue since he started solids. I gave him pear juice yesterday and today and nothing, hopefully he will have one tomorrow.

I will proly give him some solids tomorrow. I am thinking one feeding of mango for the day just to get him back into solids. I'll see how it goes and go from there!

Glad to hear you are back on track with nursing. Does Liam comfort nurse? that helps my supply a lot. Whenever my lo cuts a new tooth, she wants to nurse more - especially at night - which makes me very tired, but helps keep up the milk!

Also, bits of fruit or dry cereal (like oatios or cheerios) are really good foods to feed if you are concerned about the balance between solids and nursing. It teaches the baby to feed himself, but they aren't so filing as oatmeal, meat, and veggies (like squash or sweet potato). hope that helps!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months