Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: For Paula

Default For Paula

Thanks for all the good wishes! My niece was born at 4:37 pm, and her name is Marley Savannah (my mom's name is Martha and they wanted to name her for my mom, but my mom begged them not to call her Martha ), and of course, she is beautiful. Not that I'm biased or anything.

I need some help from you mamas who have experience with NICU though; she is having some pretty significant trouble breathing and is on a ventilator. The doctors think it's related to her CMV exposure during pregnancy but aren't sure. I don't even know what to ask about that, but I need your help for my SIL. She is (understandably) having such a hard time. She's scared to see or touch her and feels like this is her "fault" for being exposed to CMV during the pregnancy (which of course she couldn't help) and having to deliver early due to pre-eclampsia. I am worried about my niece and it's breaking my heart to see my SIL hurting so much. What did you need in terms of support while your babies were in NICU?

ETA: I just realized that this went from a "big grin" to not so much a grin. I think I'll also post a separate thread somewhere else.

Hey mama...ok first things first.

Do they KNOW that CMV is at play here? Was your SIL tested? Was the baby tested? From everything that I know about CMV, the breathing problems don;t seem to fit...but of course I am no doctor.

How big was baby? Head, weight, length. Those are also some ways to tel if CMV is to blame for some of the problems because it can cause some differences in those areas.

How long has she had the symptoms of pre-e? Do you know what her blood pressure got to? Liver enzymes? Protein levels?

As far as baby...tell your SIL to be with her as much as she can. I know it is scary...there is so much going on and it looks so frightening. If she was born smaller of course you think that you are going to hurt them. We weren't able to hold Nolan for the first few days because of the vent but we were there touching him through the isolette as much as we could. She will know that her mama is there, and daddy too, and that is the best thing. She could also record her voice and play on a tape recorder inside the isolette if the hospital will let her bring one in.

Is she pumping? I found this too if she is hesitant about that
    Breastfeeding benefits outweigh the minimal risk of transmitting CMV
    Good luck mama. Lots of well wishes coming their way!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: For Paula

Thanks so much!!!

She is breastfeeding, actually pumping for now, but they're going to try giving her some milk by syringe later today and see how that goes. They're also going to get to hold her (as long as things are ok).

During pregnancy, SIL was tested and confirmed to have a recent (at that time) exposure to CMV, and the baby has been monitored throughout the pregnancy for signs that she was affected. Her organ size is good and her head is proportional, which are both very good things. She responds to sounds (as in when I was talking to her last night, and she opened her eyes and tried to look at me ), and to changes in her visual field, which are also good, since the most common effects of CMV exposure during pregnancy from what I've read are visual and hearing impairment and effects on mental development and functioning.

(Sorry to respond in choppy segments--I have to add a little and save, or I get kicked out LOL)

Baby's body measurements are proportional, and that is a really good thing in terms of the CMV. SIL's blood pressure was hovering around 150/90 resting for several days prior to delivery, but higher with any movement (I'm foggy, but I think my brother said when she moved it was getting into the 170s, can't remember bottom number.)

I don't know what the values were for the protein levels, but I know she was doing 24-hour urine collection and it seems like he said when it reached 300 the doctor said it was time to deliver. (Does that sound right?) She also had pre-e with my 4-year-old niece.
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; April 29th, 2009 at 02:52 PM.

Awesome! Because I know that the actuality of the baby ending up with it is SO small...something like less than 1 percent I think.

Is she coming off the ventilator?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

That's a great idea about the tape recorder! I think that might make her feel much better. My brother is with the baby a good bit (he is a nurse in the hospital where she was born; SIL is also a nurse, FWIW), but I'm sure he would do it too. The doc said last night to plan for at least a week in NICU, and I know that's not a lot compared to what a lot of people--including you!--have to deal with. This is just so scary! Kudos to all you mamas who deal with much smaller babies and scarier scenarios!!

ETA: I forgot to give weight etc. She weighed 6 lbs, 11 oz, and is 19 3/4 inches long. We're very fortunate not to have to worry about a teeny-tiny preemie--she looks huge compared to all the other babies in there!

She sounds like she is doing good. How is your SIL? Are the effects of the pre-e going away?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

I feel bad saying that I don't know. She was doing well physically last night, but we were all so focused on the baby that I didn't get details. I asked her how things were going as far as the pre-e, but we kept getting interrupted, so I never got to hear.

Well hopefully she is doing well. She didn't have to have a c-section correct? The cure for pre-e is delivery, so hopefully she is feeling well.

If baby is going to be in the NICU for about a week, they could also tape up pics of themselves in her isolette. That's what we did. We decorated it a bunch with stuffed animals that we would sleep with (for our scent) and pictures of mommy and daddy...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel