Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frozen milk smells and tastes like metallic sweet diluted soap- HELP

Default frozen milk smells and tastes like metallic sweet diluted soap- HELP

hi
    I'm new to this forum and in need of some answers.

Yesterday I thawed a bag of 3 weeks old frozen BM to feed my baby, to only find that it smelled awful, and tasted awful as well. At first, I thought the color was a little darker than fresh milk but thought it was from freezing process. I smelled it to see if it was spoiled and it was not. The smell was a little strong, like soapy smell and I thought maybe because it was already heated up and that smell is from the bottle itself.. I went ahead and feed my baby with it. She jugged down 2 oz straight.
    As curious as I was, I tasted the remaining milk and found out that its awful taste. I thought maybe it was from the bottle. So I went to taste the remaining thawed frozen (same bag) milk and it tastes the same-metallic soapy taste. I ended up tossing it away.

I still have tons of frozen milk in the freezer and plan to defrost another one today to see if it's the same. I don't think it was spoiled because I put them in the freezer after only 1 day in the fridge. The freezer is very cold as well.

my question is, is this normal for frozen milk to have weird taste and smell? My freshly expressed milk taste fine and smell fine. I fed the frozen milk to my baby, i hope she is ok. If she doesn't mind the awful taste of frozen milk, is it safe to feed them to her? Anyone know what causes this? Thank you.

Default Re: frozen milk smells and tastes like metallic sweet diluted soap- HELP

try looking at Lipase issues, I have no exp but have heard other moms mention a soapy taste/smell when dealing with excessive lipase.... I'll try to get links

I bumped a few threads one is HUGE and has TONS of great links and info

ETA: and
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; April 29th, 2009 at 09:14 AM.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07