Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Good Schedule?

Default Good Schedule?

I just returned to work after 3 months off with my son. He nurses well and I don't want to ruin that, however, my job doesn't allow me much time or privacy to pump (high school teacher). My fear is that my supply will suffer, if anyone could comment on my schedule, I'd appreciate it.

I feed him at 7 am before I leave

I can pump anytime between 10 and 11, and then again at 2:30.

Most days I'll be home by 3:30 to nurse him again.

I've only been back two days but so far I'm pumping the same amount he takes in while I'm away (10-11 oz) but I'm not sure if that will continue. Are just two pumpings enough?

Default Re: Good Schedule?

There are many teachers that successfully combine their job with feeding their baby! Those two pumpings should be enough, if you are able to keep them up. I'm hoping you're using a good double pump, a manual pump or not-so-good double pump won't keep up your supply.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I know in the early pumping days my work schedule was 7:30-4:30, I would pump about every 3 hours, 9,12 and 3. After talking to a LC she told me to go ahead and cut back to two times a day to give me a little time to relax. I've done that ever since, (unless I am having a low day).

Your schedule sounds pretty good to me!

Thanks for the feedback! So far it's working and yes I do have a good pump, Medela PIS.

I teach too and I would advise one thing, make a sign to hang permanently on your door, so you don't waste value time hanging it up before every pump, that says something like STOP! absolutely do not unlock this door after 8:00. Also warn the janitors that they are not to unlock your door for the student/teacher who needs whatever from your room. I got joined one time by the computer gal checking out computers! You should be fine with two pumps a day. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Zmom
    I just returned to work after 3 months off with my son. He nurses well and I don't want to ruin that, however, my job doesn't allow me much time or privacy to pump (high school teacher). My fear is that my supply will suffer, if anyone could comment on my schedule, I'd appreciate it.

I feed him at 7 am before I leave

I can pump anytime between 10 and 11, and then again at 2:30.

Most days I'll be home by 3:30 to nurse him again.

I've only been back two days but so far I'm pumping the same amount he takes in while I'm away (10-11 oz) but I'm not sure if that will continue. Are just two pumpings enough?
    your 3 month old eats 10-11 oz.? in what period of time? Should I be worried....I don't think my 3 month old is anywhere close to that.? How much should a 3 month old eat on average????

On average, most breastfed infants (no matter what age) will take one to one and a half ounces per hour that they are separated from their mother. So, if you and baby are separated for 9 hours, expect that baby will eat 9-14oz in that time, spread out into several bottles. However, this is just an average, your child may eat more or less than this. If less, it means baby will be nursing more when you're together (reverse cycle nursing). If more than that, baby may be nursing less often when you're together, so you might consider reducing the amount that baby is given by the provider, and increase the amount of time baby spends nursing when you're together.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!